sealtea116

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
From what I hear it isn't that hard scrab off the old silicone and but more on I have never done it but spoke and watched a few videos on how too ooo and buy silicone that is the brand GE number 1 cause it is fish save and is like 5 bucks at Home Depot rather then 15 at a pet store for aquarium silicone I used it on a sump and. Was great

lisunken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did on my 50g once. is hard, you need to remove one seal line and reseal. let it dry and restart on the next. if you have no way to brace the tank from remove all the seal at one.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I did it once on a 300gal tank, which has similar dimension as the tank that you're going to work on.

I had to seal the front bottom seam, and because of the size and the weight of the tank it was fairly hard to work with. The thing is you need to strip off the old silicone, clean it really good with alcohol, and then reseal it. You then have to wait 48 hours for it to cure before you can test it with water to see if it holds. If it still is leaking you need to do it over or go over a part that is leaking.

Overall it took a lot of time, I had to reseal 4' of tank in the front and over 3' up one side, and the size and weight made it hard to work with the tank.

Richie from SI used a company that took apart and put his tank together for him, maybe you should reach out to him.

Last edited:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Reach out to a lfs that you go to as well, I'm not sure I would attempt this myself I'd be too worried. Great tank you picked up, worth calling to price out before you do yourself
If lfs can't do for you maybe pm reefoman here see if he can reveal for you or suggest someone for the job

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
So are you guys saying i have to remove panels here? Or keep the structure together and reseal joints? Im confused after marrones post where he mentioned weight. I dont ubderstand once i have it on the stand for reseal where does weight play a role?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If it's leaking just from one seam, like the bottom, then you most likely just need to repair that seam, so you wouldn't need to take the whole tank apart.

As for the weight and size of the tank, in order to remove all the silicone, clean it, and then re-silicone the tank again you'll to move around the tank, even laying it on its side, otherwise it makes it harder to get into it and do everything, especially when you're doing the bottom seam on the tank, which if you need to reseal the whole thing it's 6'. A large heavy tank can make doing that harder.

Bottom line, everyone wants to save money but the most important thing in a setup is the tank. I'm not sure I would want to play around with a very large tank unless you're 100% sure you can do it.

Last edited:

lisunken

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agrees with marrone is a big jobs and your need four people to help you move the tank around. but can be done. you also need to clap the tank together so the seam do not move when you re-silicone and let it set.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I agree with Marrone. I'm usually all about doing things myself but when comes to a. Tank I had a bad experience once. Old thread on here I bought a used 220 that was resealed by a maintenance company in denville NJ, leak tested in driveway on Dolly's and it was fine. Was going to move to my basement and decided I wanted a reef ready tank and sold the setup before filling in my house. 2 dYs later the buyer called me in panic mode because the rear seal went on the tank... And it had been revealed by a aquarium maintenance company that had been in business for quite a while with a good amount of knowledge and experience

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I've never tried to re seal a tank, but maybe you can consider buying a new smaller tank like 10-20 gallons, or even seeing if any used ones are being sold here and do a practice run on that. This way you can get the technique down and you will be confident to do it on the larger tank, and the seems will more than likely look much neater than if you just go right for the larger tank to start.

Just my $0.02 on what i would do if I was in the situation. But like I said, i haven't actually done it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: