reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone knows what a retail value on a massive leather toadstool would be. Its the one that you can see by clicking the link in my signature. Its on the left side of my tank.

I can tell you its about 14" diameter with all the folds it has, if it was opened up it would probably be about 20" across. The foot is about 7-8" in diameter, and it weighs about 20 lbs. The only reason I know the weight is because I had to move it from my old 90 to the new 120 when i upgraded a few months ago.

the only reason I ask is that I have some people who come over and are amazed by the piece and ask how much it would be worth in a store and I just tell them I have not the slightest idea.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The problem with large leather, and this also goes for some other large corals too, is that as they get really really big it limits the number of people that want them, resulting in a small market for the leather. I can't tell you how many large leather that were donated at the swaps over the years from people that just wanted to get rid of them.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
In that case next time you come across some nice big leathers or anything else that someone may want to donate let me know. I will gladly take them. Have a big tank so I have plenty of real estate

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
O wow, I honestly thought they would be worth way more than that. Didnt take into account the decrease in buyer pool as the coral gets bigger. O well... It's still priceless to me. My favorite coral in my tank.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
The other problem with large leathers is that the release toxins and can cause problems with other LPS or SPS corals. With large or large amount of leathers in a tank it is important to run carbon especially if you experience problems with other corals not doing well.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
interesting. Ive never heard this. I always do run carbon on my tank, but have never noticed any problems with other corals before. At least nothing that moving the coral to a new location with more/less light/current hasnt fixed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: