b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
My son is in Orlando Florida. He would like to know if anyone knows of any good lfs in that area. Also what beaches he can go to collect stuff(crabs,snails,etc). I muskeg have never been to Florida so obviously I can't answer these questions for him. But I know a bunch of fellow reefers here go down occasionally. Please let me know. And if anyone can think of any other things he should do/explore while he is in Orlando please let me know. He just turned 14 so this was his birthday present as well as Disneyland.

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
orlando has world wide corals i just went there this summer.The store is beautiful but the prices are insane. Theres really no beaches close to orlando for a 14 year old to get to and collect maybe daytona beach but it doesnt really have that much. One spot that i love in florida to collect where you can collect fish corals and inverts is peanut island its by west palm beach maybe to far for family to take him down there you catch alittle ferry that brings you round trip for 10 bucks and its a whole diff world you even have black tangs bumping into you in the water i brought back like 13 diff corals from there just put it as regular luggage and paid a extra 20 bucks.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Just glancing google maps, I see that to the east, there is a barrier island off Cocoa where Cape Canaveral is located. Within the sheltered area (Indian River, which should be salt water) I'm going to assume that under every bridge on the pilings, along any marina/dock where he can park, he'll have good pickings if you jump into the water. Hermit crabs galore, snails, other random crabs below the low tide mark, If you search at any marina, look under/along the sides of docks that float on the water, not the fixed ones (which are out of water during low tide). There'll be plenty of life within hands reach. I've pulled up zooanthids, sponges, starfish, micro brittlestars and of course shellfish doing that. Personally I've only been to bridges/marinas at West Palm Beach, and stops along the Highway going to the Keys (from Largo to Key West at some of the rest stops). Once he collects everything mail it back and use an insulated container with ice, priority air.

PS, if I recall correctly, collecting of anything, including "tropical fish" and corals in a marine park is not allowed.

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The safest place to explore is in Disney. Inside the Nemo ride there is a beauty display of saltwater tanks. They have a lab you can visit and large display of aquaium life. I enjoy going there every year. Beautiful SPS tanks, just a really great education place for young children and adults. Plus it's kind of free if your in the park. If you know what I mean. Might not be what your looking for. It's a excellent place in Disney. Another great place is Sea World. I know it's not what your looking for but its in Orlando and a great place. Just wanted to put it out there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: