Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Was at my local LFS about 2 weeks ok and purchased a blackhead jawfish as an impulse buy like so many people. Just had to have a jawfish! I only have a 29 gal biocube with 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch worth of sand. The little guy stays mostly in the right hand back corner of the tank and and hangs with a yellow watchman goby. There is a pc of dragons breath anchored down with small pc of live rock and they chill there. Fortunately he eats very well....Reef Frenzy. Seems happy as far as I can tell. Of course, since I do not have a deep sandbed I miss out on what a jawfish really does with such great personality. Did not realize they really need 6-12 inches of sand. Was really bummed out when I read this and in retrospect should not have gotten the little guy. I was think of getting or making some kind of deep corner box to fill with sand with the hopes he will go in and enjoy.Then I got to thinking why not set up a jawfish tank. A longer tank with a deep sand bed housing mostly jawfish.

Wanted to see if anyone who had a jawfish could share their experiences, stories, maybe add some pics or videos and share how they were kept or are currently kept. Would add a pic myself just have to lure him out of the corner!

Thanks
Charley

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Blue spotted jawfish by far my favorite so much personality. Just got back into the hobby and its on my short list. Only think is they love to spit sand everywhere, so my corals at the time were covered. Definitely need a sand bed for them to hide and burrow

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I have a blue spotted jawfish with a 4 inch sand bed. He took over a corner of my tank with a rock and pops up in the middle of the rock and all around it. He is kind of a pain in the butt of a fish. He spits sand everywhere. He destroyed a large patch of gsp and also some zoas.

I don't think you can keep multiple Jawfish in the same tank unless it was a fairly large tank.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2015-09-04 10:17:58 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2015-09-04 10:17:58 EDT.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 190
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
I also had one when I had my biocube and was thinking about building a jawfish cave, house, home... You can google or YouTube them. When I upgrade I'm going to build one of these and make it the center piece of one of my islands.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs2015-09-04 10:39:06 EDT.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs2015-09-04 10:39:06 EDT.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 175
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
It's about a 4 inch sand bed and it's a 60 gallon tank. Yeah that's a cave someone specifically made for their blue spotted Jawfish. You can look it up on YouTube them using it. I definitely wanna use it since he makes a mess and destroyed a lot of corals.

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm on my second bluedot, and this one is by far more interesting than the first. He (not sure why I refer to it as a he) doesn't dig and spit a lot, except for the occasional snail that gets in his way, but he swims a lot. He's never tried to jump, never even goes near the surface. What he doesn't like is when there is no moonlight. Aside from that, he's an awesome fish!

I have a deep sand bed and run my tank at 77. Most people shy away from deep sand beds, I chose to have one strictly because I love jawfish.

At one point this jawfish looked as though he had the dreaded blue dot jawfish disease. He lost almost all his color, wasn't eating much and his fins were quite ragged. There is no solution for that disease, but what I found was that by dosing 5 drops of Kent Garlic Extreme everyday, he eventually came around. I don't dose it anymore, but I do soak food in it every now and then. Just keep that in mind as I would certainly recommend that to anyone given that I definitely know it helped my jawfish out.

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Was not aware of blue dot jawfish disease. I hear they are fairly short lived, tough to keep? Is cooler water for all jawfishes or just the blue dots?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: