notyet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all - I've been reading and researching for about a year now, in anticipation of when i move and set up my first tank. I'll most likely be moving into a studio in manhattan in a few months... probably less than 500 square feet... i'd like to get a tank around 70-100 gallons...

anyone else have a tank of this size in a small apartment? if so, could you post tank pix and if possible apartment floor plans? or at least a description? i'm just trying to get ideas for my future tank...

thanks in advance

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
with a small apt ,make sure it will support a tank that size . ,i would look for a 92gal corner tank ,,that will take up less room and give you a nice tank to work with .also you have to make sure that you can keep the tank cool during the summer ,so you either must have the ac on all the time or get a chiller

Good luck and Welcome to MR

Ronen

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I have a number of large tanks (100, 150 and 75) in a 600 square foot apartment. Flooring is not as much of an issue as everyone will be quick to tell you. The important thing to keep in mind is what deep touched on, keep the tank on the outside wall and perpendicular to the floor beams. It is not how much the tank weighs, it is the pound per square inch (PSI). In most cases in Manhattan, flooring was built to handle much more PSI than a fishtank up to 400 gallons! Of course there is exceptions to the rule.

70 to 100 gallons is nothing to sweat. You probably put out more PSI standing on your tippy toes than a 70-100 gallon tank does. There is an article that explains this in more technical and detailed terms. I'll find it and send it to you. I'll post a picture and layout of my apartment for you later.

Just don't move into an apartment where you can see your neighbor through the floor :wink1:

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I have a number of large tanks (100, 150 and 75) in a 600 square foot apartment. Flooring is not as much of an issue as everyone will be quick to tell you. The important thing to keep in mind is what deep touched on, keep the tank on the outside wall and perpendicular to the floor beams. It is not how much the tank weighs, it is the pound per square inch (PSI). In most cases in Manhattan, flooring was built to handle much more PSI than a fishtank up to 400 gallons! Of course there is exceptions to the rule.

70 to 100 gallons is nothing to sweat. You probably put out more PSI standing on your tippy toes than a 70-100 gallon tank does. There is an article that explains this in more technical and detailed terms. I'll find it and send it to you. I'll post a picture and layout of my apartment for you later.

Just don't move into an apartment where you can see your neighbor through the floor :wink1:
Could you send me the article also, I would be interested in reading it. Or you could provide the link in this thread, :) . THANKS for the info.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Flooring is not as much of an issue as everyone will be quick to tell you.

Actually flooring is a major issue and you shouldn't be take it for granted. A lot of floors in Manhattan have problems were the floors aren't leveled and even if you're able to level the tank you may have problems with the the floor moving or shifting not to mention vibration. This may cause the stand to twist or tank to twist causing leaks and even the tank letting go. I have seen it happen quite a number of times.

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a 120 room divider. You could use a room divider tank to separate your space in to sleeping and living. The down side of my tank is that it is narrow so if you were to do room div., get the wider one.

notyet

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 room divider. You could use a room divider tank to separate your space in to sleeping and living. The down side of my tank is that it is narrow so if you were to do room div., get the wider one.

you probably have the tank i've been looking at... is it horseshoe or U shaped at one end? i'd love to see some pictures if you have any...

thanks for all of the other input as well

aaron

Australian
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Once you have decided if the floor can support it, the other big issue with a tank in a small apartment is noise as you will never be very far from you tank. Firstly your return pump - there are plenty of threads on this site discussing pump noise. I recently upgraded to an ehiem 1260 which is significantly quieter than my Mag7. As well as this you really need to think you plumbing out with nice straight runs of pipe as the water rushing around elbows is very loud in a quiet apartment when you trying to sleep.
Just a few things to thnk about, good luck with you project

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: