ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I know a guy at work that has 100 gallon fish only saltwater tank with about 20 fish in it, He decided about a month ago that he was going to add a yellow tang. This tang would be the only fish in the tank that had a different diet. He then decided that he didn't want the tank anymore and gave it to his brother when his brother found out that the yellow tang had a different diet he decided he didn't want the fish. So this clown calls me up and says if I don't take the fish if I don't want it they going to flush it down the toilet. So needless to say I went and took the fish even though I have a 29 gallon biocube which is obviously too small for this fish. I've had him in my tank for a little over a week now and I have recently made a deal with the local fish store to take the fish for from me In exchange for store credit. But my question is I have noticed a spike in ammonia in my otherwise stable tank and I was wondering if it was cuz of the yellow tang because he does eat a lot a lot more than my other fish he's unstoppable with his appetite. I was assuming my clean up crew may not be big enough to clean up after that monster. Could that be the case or do I have an underlying problem brewing

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
if you add a big fish like a tang to a small tank, or any fish, it will take a week or so for your bacteria to build up to handle the extra ammonia. but the fish has to go anyway.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: