Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
On some level I guess we are landscaping our flowers of the sea ( corals ). I rarely, if ever heard anyone talk about using principles of regular landscaping to be applied to our tanks. For example, I once heard that not to put the same leaf shape, even though different flowers, next to each or it will appear boring. Better to have a broad, leaf, a narrow long leave, an evergreen type leaf next to each other to have a more interesting look. I actually remembered this and trying to keep this in mind when placing corals, Instead of 3 different colored zoas next to each other, I try to place so 3 different textured corals are next to each other best I can. Just wondering if there any landscapers who have reef tanks who try to apply principles of landscaping to their tanks. Thanks

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think trying to apply landscaping principles to reef tank tank runs into a number of different problems. Aquascaping(placement) of corals fall into a number of difference areas. Corals have different lighting requirements, flow requirements, and certain corals need more space than others, as they will sting others corals or release chemicals, plus you need to take into account for coral growth. These things make it somewhat different than doing landscaping in a garden.

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
To a point yes, I agree. but lighting, placement all apply to regular landscaping too. What can apply is aesthetics. What looks visually good next to each other in terms of shapes, heights, groupings and then apply what we have to be concerned about......

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
This is actually a very interesting topic... I have also looked deeper into color matching and why no one does it. If you look around there isn't much information on aesthetic pleasing of the hobbyist and I believe that's because most informative places are run by true hobbyists. They couldn't care less what matches with what. They are in it for the depth. But most people will only look at the fish tank and see the aesthetics. I am a hobbyist but I must always please people with aesthetic tastes. It's challenging but I love it. This area is very under developed and actually I hope to help develop it.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I think it also up to preference and taste. I have seen tanks with everything thrown in and tanks very aesthetically done. comes also to creativity. I think some people have the "eye" for design and some are built over years and comes down to finding space. I know my tank has evolved and my coral I have bought and continued to buy for the last 2 years.

Charley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
My gut tells me that if as a hypothetical that if a tank was just cycled and someone went out and bought a bunch of corals, that a landscape designer would be able to apply certain rules to setting up and placement of the flowers in our tanks, thereby in theory creating a nicer look to the eye. Just need a landscape designer to outline what those principles are and which ones may apply to our hobby. I think it could help just like it would help In actual landscaping.

ReefMadman

Evil Jedi Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I look at it from an artistic point of view...in paintings, drawings and even tattoos...its about contrast and depth. Im new to this whole reef thing, but i set my tank up with darker more earthy colors in the back and the more flashy stuff up front...it adds depth, and considering i only have a 29g it adds the illusion of a bigger tank...my only out of place coral right now is a bright orange acan that is in the back of the tank...but as was mentioned before....sometimes u have to forgo aesthetics for biology...and i have seen the 5 inch long tenticle that acan has, so i placed him among his own kind away from the other residents
:biggrin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: