• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I noticed so many fantastic looking tanks here and wonder why everybody doesn't have a 500 gallon! The reason I ask is I think I bit off more than I can chew when I jumped right into my 265. I love having a big tank to house many different fish, but my dream of a sps/lps/fish tank this size really is taking more than I expected to be successful. Might be going fowlr in this tank and sps/fish with my smaller one.

Btw I'm in westchester not sure how New Jersey sticker got there mods please remove that.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I think a lot of people always want to go bigger, as it will given them more space for corals and fish, but it also requires more maintenance and adjustments and a lot of times the tank doesn't come out as good as when you have a smaller tank. I also think that's why cube tanks are a big hit, as they give you more space to put corals but they're somewhat easier to maintain than a longer tank.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
marrone is correct it is easier on the $$$$$$$$ on a smaller tank . But that isn't always true if you run zeovit or triton this all adds up. Running 1200 gallons is easier to maintain / but takes longer to fill in depending on what you like to keep. My skimmer cost less than a bubble king and my calcium reactor is the same as mtc. Bio Man find someone with your size tank and compare it to what you want to make of your system.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
A series of unfortunate events have been plaguing me since I started my 265.. First, after the initial cycle I decided to add a decent amount of fish given the size and one by one they were getting murdered by a sallyfoot crab, after I killed the crab and started restocking I fell asleep filling the auto top off tank and flooded the area. When I was cleaning that mess I didn't realize I positioned the ATO hose towards the transformer for my return pump and fried the dc transformer, now my prized zoa garden has been eaten by somebody and I broke my skimmer now I've got a skimmer good for 1/4 my tanks size,,, I'm supposed to be enjoying this they said. On the plus side, I'm very happy with my 80 gallon sps tank with some nice little fishes

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm looking at sump rooms for 300 gallon tanks and larger. Seems like I can maintain my 265 the way it is then get a much larger sump, skimmer, reactors and probes. Then I'll be able to go further. In my previous 125 gall I simply put the filtration under the tank, ran some go amd carbon and called it a day,,adding 2 part plus mag of course. Not the same I guess.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Thankfully I have less fish in my 265 than I did in my original biocube 29 lolol, Im not adding another fish or frag until I can duplicate what I've seen in some of the youtube videos.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Bioman, how many tanks do you have. if you have more then one and your having trouble maintaining both.... time to consolidate.

I've got 2,, an 80gal and a 265gal.
the 80 gal I'm very proud of,,all high end SPS and 5 or 6 nice looking fish,, the 265 has been a pain in the *** because I'm learning all this stuff as I go along, nobody I know has a tank. So its all trial and error for me. When I first posted this I was venting. Now I know what I've got to do...until the next problem arises...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: