Last week I picked up a chevron tang and decided not to qt him because my display was pretty much empty (2 chromis and a anthia ). He has been great, eating, picking and swimming around. I also picked up a yellow tang and blue hippo. They have been in my qt (w/ copper) for 1 week. The yellow tang has been eating and swimming around, the blue hippo has done nothing but hide. I though by taking the yellow tang out that looked really great and putting him into my display that I would be giving him a better chance at survival then just leaving him in with the hippo who wasn't doing good. So today after acclimating him, he went into my display. Moments after being in the tank under blue LEDs, I realized he had a white sheen all over his skin. I immediately took him out and put him back into the qt tank hoping for the best. After coming home from the movies tonight my anthia looked like he was 2 different colors. I immediately got everyone out, did a water change in my qt and put them in. I'm praying my chevron tang makes it along with my other fish.

I would appreciate any advice on the fish in the qt (chevron, yellow tang, blue hippo, 2 chromis) or going forward the the system (days empty/treatment).

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure it's Velvet not Ick. Velvet kills pretty fast almost like 24 hours. Either way your doing basically everything. Make sure there no stress between the tangs. As long they eating you can try adding Vitamin C or soak they food with some kind of vitamin. Watch the ammonia in Qt tank. Keep than in there for 4-6 weeks.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Velvet is the worst by far of fish diseases I've delt with your lucky in a way that u where not fully stocked let us know how treatment goes when I had it it moved through my tank in 2 -3 days killing 30% of my fish a few never got it or a few had it and actually fought it off
I didn't add any new fish for about 2 months haven't had it back yet fingers crossed

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: