reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
TL;DR - Is it ok if aquarium water gets in contact with soda ash line every so often causing some of soda ash in line to cloud?

I'm in the process of setting up a dosing unit for my tank and because of the setup of the sump using a rimmed aquarium, I had to put the line holder on a baffle. I have it on the only baffle for the return compartment which has water flowing over it. Anyway, whenever I have water level rise in my sump such as when I turn of return for maintenance, or during power outages the water level will rise above the dosing lines. I noticed that when this happened some of the soda ash fluid began clouding back through the line. the clouding went back to about 1/2 way between the outlet of the dosing pump and the end of the line by the time I caught it and flushed the line out until it ran clear again.
Im not sure if this is something that I need to try to prevent from happening or if its not really a big deal being that the fluid clouds when it is dosed anyway.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Really not fully understand your question. But if it's a small amount of soda ash it will disappear and clear. If it's doing a lot than your Alk will go up and PH. Also the size of your tank and if you have coral will absorb the Alk. When my doser dose my Soda Ash it's cloudy and gets mixed in and disappears in a few seconds. You can direct water movement in area where it drips so it won't stay cloudy. Not sure if that helped.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
ok ill try again.

its not a problem with the actual dosing... just the tubing that goes from the doser to the tank. I have it sitting slightly above the water line, but when i shut off my main return or if i were to lose power the water in the sump will rise causing the tubing to be under the surface of the water. This causes the soda ash inside the tube to turn cloudy white. I was wondering if this happening on occasion is something to worry about meaning i will need to try to figure out another way of mounting these dosing tubes, otherwise if its not too bad, then I can leave it.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Yea definitely find a way to keep them out of the water at all times. It's good practice to flush the lines for a couple seconds every month. Keeps t from getting clogged. I just turn the dosed up and it runs for a few seconds and then back to regular dose.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: