Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hello fellow reefers so I just started up a Cheato sump and I was wondering how can I tell if its growing and doing good and how long does it take to grow. right now its in a tub that I have attached to my sump, I'm running a 1600k led daylight bulb from home depot its running opposite my tank, the light comes on about an hour before my tank lights go off and runs until the morning, when the tank lights come back on. Is there anything I should be doing differently thanks again

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
you need to get the 5000K daylight power compact fluorescent bulbs, none of the LEDs will grow plants except the red 660 wavelength bulbs which are available from horticulture sites. I use this on my algae scrubber and it grows bright green macros. Of course, the algae is only an inch away from the light. after reading about the poor reliability of other red grow LEDs on amazon, this is a reliable set that I've been using for the past couple of years, over 30 watts of pure plant growing power, and no wasted light frequencies. plus it's an easy to use size to hang.

http://www.thelashop.com/225-high-power-ultrathin-blue-red-led-plant-grow-light-panel.html

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
36   0   1
I have a clip on lamp from the 99cents store with ahome depot bulb and its groing calerpa fine. I think it depends on your nitrients. If you dont have nutrients for it to absorb it starves and wont grow, but im no expert.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
That's interesting, what generic full spectrum LED make and models have you guys use successfully? ie, GE xyz from home depot? The flood lamp? This may be model/brand specific, since the diodes emit a very specific wavelength and weren't made for plant growth. That's what I've read from the algae scrubber forums.
Or are you guys just growing macros under white 10000K aquarium LED fixtures?

Anyway, here's the link for lighting and he talks about the most efficient lights for plant growth at the bottom of the post.
https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.264/
about 2/3 down the webpage, I'm quoting the following:

Here?s the bottom line: you only need RED. Nothing else is really necessary. White LEDs of any kind have not proven to be highly effective, and neither are Blues (with the exception that they accompany reds in a low ratio).

The best results so far have utilized 660nm ?Deep Red? LEDs; there have been far fewer attempts using 630nm Red LEDs. These wavelengths roughly correspond with the Chlorophyll A and B red peaks. Optionally, some 455nm Royal Blue LEDs can be thrown in; according to horticulturalists, and one study by NASA, this ratio is approximately 7:1 red: blue.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hey guys maybe I was a little unclear so I attached a picture of the bulb I currently have the one that says CREE - its rated at 5000k 1600 lumens daylight and its a LED bulb and about 5 inches from the water

the first picture is a CFL 5000k daylight bulb from home depot, can I use this one and will it be better than the CREE or are they both suitable thanks again.

Attachments

• CFL 5000k.jpg
    CFL 5000k.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 500k 1600lumens led bulb.jpg
    500k 1600lumens led bulb.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 83
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Yes, those are what I was referring to when I was talking about generic or multi-purpose home use LEDs. The summary from the LED forums I've read is that even though they state the color temperature of eg 5000K, they are not full spectrum lighting as compared to traditional T5 or power compacts according to a color/spectral chart, so they may not even have a peak or a modest hill, on the photosynthetic wavelengths. Unlike reef lighting, which provides spectral charts, I haven't seen a chart for those LEDs. Anyway, that's why they make 660 nm plant grow LED bulbs. which is what I would recommend for you, or other wise get a reef capable full spectrum, white LED which cost a lot.

Even if that LED works for some plant growth, (which I won't deny, if others have experimented with specific brands/models) an equivalent wattage of 660 will grow so much better as all of the PAR is directed for photosynthesis, just like actinics work on corals. Just search for "plant grow LED' on amazon and you'll see what I mean.

That power compact will definitely work and has a good track record.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: