MrBanGa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
im planing on buying a 29 bio cube to set up some reef in a new place I'm moving into the beginning of next month , i wanted to know what would i need for the bio cube to have a successful reef tank . thanks in advance .. any ideas can be send to 917 929 0712 my name is jeremiah thank you .. moving yo Ocean ave between voorhies ave & ave Z. any LFS in that area or fellow reefers

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
First you need a 150 gallon tank with a sump, protien skimmer,.... Kidding although you will probably end up with them at some point in time... If you've never had a reef tank before start with an RODI filter with auto shut off float switch, do not use regular tap water... hydrometer, saltwater test kit, Salt, Sand, Rock, power head, heater, bucket and patience.... Oh yeah and a red light to watch your tank at night for a world you never knew existed.

Get a book read it, you most likely wont understand what it says until you start experiencing things going wrong and you witness the changes when the parameters are adjusted. Read, ask more questions, research the answers you get, don't blindly follow everyone's advice. Don't use live fish to cycle your tank, when your tank is cycled populate slowly allowing the bio filtration to catch up. Research the fish tank size requirement before you buy any fish or animal. Everything here is my opinion and most everything you will get from people are opinions too, remember this and you will have a great piece of the ocean to yourself...

Not sure if that's what your looking for, but good luck

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
The best advice I can give it take your time and research your purchases. There are alot of nano reefers out there with beautiful tanks. Rushing into things will just cost you money in the long run. As far as equipment goes good skimmer is key. I would go with dry rocks if it's a new system to avoid unwanted pests in your tank. A good set of test kits (Api will do for cycle) and a refractometer. I don't know what type of coral you are looking to keep but a light upgrade from the stock BC is some you might want to check out as well. I'm sure I have missed alot of things but these to me are key items.

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For what it's worth, I spent 4-5 months researching stores to purchase. I took rides to almost every shop to pick their brains and get prices, more importantly, to get delivery.
Delivery was the biggest problem, no one wanted to deliver a 180 gallon tank.
Go to Brooklyn Zoo. Peter was very helpful, and made the whole purchase very easy. The staff is great. Worth a trip. In business 30 years.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: