FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Are you guys getting 0 TDS from your RODI unit mostly? If your getting 0, how many gallons can you get out of new media before you reach 1 (ONE) TDS?

How many TDS are you getting before the DI unit, as I am getting 12-14 before the DI.

I tried the Water General unit in the past & BRS RODI units now & I may need to get better DI resin.

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I have never seen mine go higher than 0. I change my filters before giving it a chance to go 1. I change my sediment every month. Carbon every 3 months and di/ membrane every 2 years. I make more or less 25 gallons a week of water. I know I'm crazy for changing so often but I like seeing them clean. Lol. I use the Kent maxxima rodi system. I use brs di/sediment/carbon

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I too will be using about 100 gal/month on average. I was going to try the BRS DI resin next.

Good to know it can last at least for 100g & I think my DI media has been stored for too long.

Do you need to restrict the flow coming out of your DI resin, so as to allow for more contact time?

Ryno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at 17 ppm before my DI resin and 0 coming out. I can make about 200 gallons before it starts creeping up. I use the color changing resin and it starts to show TDS before all the color changes. Just an FYI if I only fill up a cup and check then I see about 4 ppm and I have to let it run for a minute before it drops to 0.

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I had to slow drip my DI output to get it to zero, which is kinda of a PITA but better to have zero or close to it.

Also, the more the filter was used & clogged for the first few days, the quicker it reached lower RO TDS levels & quicker the DI output was to zero & now is at a constant zero.

I know one reefer who uses RO water & never any DI water & has a wonderful tank. I also saw another that has a lower end mixed reef that was packed with corals & even SPS's & he just used tap water. It makes one wonder how necessary zero TDS water REALLY is, but it is better to be safe than loose some precious SPS I guess?

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
What are you numbers out of the tap
nitrates phosphates / then reading after your last di cartridge.
This will give you a better idea of what your ro/di needs to remove and if it's removing the bad like it supposed to do. This zero number means squat except to sell you more cartridges and membranes . Test it for your self. You test tank water why not check to see if you are putting quality water into you tank weather it's for top off or mixing your salt.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Fast Uno . I think everyone is miss understanding my comment.
What is phosphate out of tap then after the complete cycle of ro/di end process
Same test for nitrates and silica. This test will show if your unit is removing the important items that cause bad algae.
Here is my system nitrated and silica 0 entering and leaving.
Phosphates out of tap 2.50 at end of ro/di even though reading 0 on tds meter phosphates are still reading 1.0 / so in this case need to fix issue by changing filters more often. If not tank get's hair algae out the wazoooooooo.

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Oh, I get it now.

On my first reef my RO/DI readings would be high, but I still used it & had a great tank with no algae. Maybe a little bit of cyano when I over fed, but then turkey blasted it away.

Honestly I never check phosphates or nitrates/nitrites in my tanks at all. The only difference when I tested in the past would be to just do more water changes. So then I learned to judge nitrates/phosphates by the amount of growth on my tank glass & any cyano/algae. Then I would simply do more/less feeding & water changes accordingly & thus never any need to check for those levels anymore.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: