Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did a 35 gallon water change last night and this am woke up with carpet on my rocks near my bubble tips. Now my newly hosting clowns in my bubble tips are hosting my carpet.
Awesome. Hope it doesn't move from here or goes back to its corner in the sand.

Attachments

• 20151020_221653-1.jpg
    20151020_221653-1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 260
  • 20151020_221219-1.jpg
    20151020_221219-1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 20151020_221147-1.jpg
    20151020_221147-1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 257

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It's looking for more light . Yes they like foot buried in sand. They do and will adapt to reef life without sand they will just bury there foot under a rock to retract if some thing ticks it off. Also at this time I would recommend you put covers over the power heads so they don't get chewed up.

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
It's looking for more light . Yes they like foot buried in sand. They do and will adapt to reef life without sand they will just bury there foot under a rock to retract if some thing ticks it off. Also at this time I would recommend you put covers over the power heads so they don't get chewed up.

+1
And negative on carpets and BTAs not mixing, it's done all the time. Like Greg said you have a Haddoni carpet and the prefer being on the sandbed with there foot attached to the bottom glass under the sandbed . Your tank needs more light to keep it happy

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the carpet has been in my system for about 3 months or more.
I prepped the right corner in the picture for it and it immediately dug into the sand and pulled in a mound of sand to cover its foot. I could even see the foot planted on the glass from underneath the tank. It was there for the 3 months. What i noticed was, i had my lights on high and ever 2 weeks or so it would expel black goo, to what i interpret as to much light on the nem (not sure if i am correct in thinking that). Anyway i put that basket you can see over it with some frags in it. It partially blocked the light but the carpet was still getting light, i figured if it wanted more it would stretch for it.
2 nights ago i did a 35 gal water change and i was purposely spraying the water at the sand in the area.. I figured that is what bothered the nem and made it crawl up the rock. Either way the Nem stood put in its original spot for 3 months which was good. Now it has a nice crevice its foot is in, which is were my 3 big bubble tips planted their foot so its definitely a secure spot for it.
Now the adult clown is hosting in it as well, so not sure if that is comfortable for the nem and would coax it to stay put but so far so good.
I just hope it doesnt move to the left of tank.
As for the lights they are definitely strong. I run them at 65% max for blue and 45% max for white because any higher and i see bleaching.
I do run my lights according to my nems and how they behave so i will make adjustments and see how it goes.
Keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the input.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
it looks pretty happy to me, I think the black goo that you saw was merely a way that they expel toxins in their systems i have a pagoda that does that every few months and its been in my tank for 5 years

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
2nd for negative that on not mixing carpets and anemones i have a 50 gallon cube anemone tank which has a 17 inch red carpet a 12 inch green carpet with strips 6 rock anemones one 12 inch red bubble tip anemone and about 25 green bubbletip anemones and everyone is doing just fine also have 9 clowns in it. I run a protien skimmer and carbon in it and vodka dose and everything is doing just fine. I have a video up on my thread. carpets need good sand beds and lighting i find they do better when they anchor under a rock in your sand bed. I also have 3 huge carpets in my 180 and anemones also so yeah am negative on that comment i believe you can mix them all well

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
It not recommended mixing species in smaller tanks . They release toxins to attack each other as they compete for space on the reef. In a smaller closed system these toxins build up over time. Sometimes the anemones will build up tolerance to each other but more often one or both will succome to the toxins. so running carbon is important.
Just a little food for thought. Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So im watching it and its definitely back on the move... looks like its trying to get back to its place on the sand... or at least its moving to the right of the tank and lower from where it is... lets see where it lands.

HefeWeizen

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I had a carpet years ago. It ate well. Mostly my most expensive fish.

I did notice that any drastic change in lighting, water movement, or water quality it would move. Usually not far, but it would move. In the end it wound up right where it started.

trinimaddness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey, nice looking nem. Mine did the same a while back, moving right next to my gbta where it has been ever since. They both appear to be happy.(corals in between not so much)

p.s the rocks you placed next to it wont stop it from moving. When it got to go, it got to go :spin:

Attachments

• 20151017_145240.jpg
    20151017_145240.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 38

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: