thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Last night while watching the bama game I took out dog for a quick walk. When I came back in I smelled something burning. I went down stairs to see where the smell was coming from and sure enought it was tank

More specifically it was coming from the sump- I unplugged everything and figured I'd wait. About to see what was going on as the waster collector ad skimmer were warm to the touch. The only other thing in that part of Sunp are the heaters, I'm thinking a short possibly or some other malfunction.

So I'm making water now and plan on a large wc. Corals don't look very good and the fish are all hiding/ laying low except the hippo tank and bangaii card which over had for almost 3 years. Should I add carbon? Something else?
Plan on new heaters as I can't k shine it was caused by anything else..... Open to thoughts as I'm lucky me and the tank aren't on the curb!

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Did you figure out what was burning? A short heater will not smell but will shock you. I know if water level gets low the rubber suction cups might burn on the heater. Wait for WC and first find out what the issue is.

Feed the tank and see if fish come out to eat. I think you are just being paranoid right now :).

Don't take any step that will worsen the situation, like 100% WC.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I did not Sunny

I'm going with heater or skimmer pump as everything in that chamber was warm to the touch. Normally wouldn't be. The water level was low for some reason, hoping not slow leak in sump that stand is soaking up

Djbetterly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Have you pulled each electro mechanical part out and given it a good sniff? Water changes and carbon will only go so far if you can't nail down the source. Every time I've had that problem it has been heater related.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I had this exact experience 2 wks ago.
Came home. Heard an eerie silence.
Looked at tank and ran to it.
It was dark, but more importantly, it was dead silent and still.

I also smelled a funny burning smell.
I looked in the electrical box and saw that the breaker had been jumped.
I turned it back on.
Tank came on for a few minutes then shorted back out.

Followed the smell to the sump and didn't connect the dots yet.

Then I picked up the heater to put it into the DT to run it separately because I didn't know what was causing the short.

I saw a blackened area inside of the heater, saw water in there, and also saw sparks of light!

I quickly unplugged the heater.

I turned everything else back on and the power continued as normal.

So, I threw out that heater. Turn up the heat in the house and ordered a new heater from amazon prime.

Now I have a new 300w heater. No short circuiting. No burning smell.
Nice 78 degrees.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I went with the Aquatic 300w due to reviews, price and time to my door. I figure it will last me at least 2 yrs, which is how long the cheaper heaters last me.

It definitely wasn't the CHEAPEST option and those had some horrible reviews.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: