Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
I'm getting old so I need to get things down before I forget them.

It occurred to me when I was doing the demo that a lot of the beginners and intermediate reefers are missing the finer points of reefing. The things you learn with experience. I was wondering if instead of having both speakers talk about the high end of reefing we should incorporate our experienced members to talk directly to a group about the ins and outs, tips and tricks, even the psychology of how they approach reefing as it pertains to their systems.
I understand we have forums for that, but it's much different when you read about something and try to interprete what's written then to have someone like Paul b explain why he uses baking soda for instance, among a thousand other things that his invaluable experience in this hobby that he could lend. Ritchie, Josh, Al, Jim, M.Marrone, Kathy even Randy himself and a host of others that could all be called upon to express how their approaches effect how they reef. I think if they received even one idea out of such an experience it would be worth a dozen marine biologist speakers.
It's always been heard from the masses "same old questions" in the forums. Well let's talk them up so their reefs are better and healthier sooner rather than later. Let's keep those reefers viable instead of the infamous "my reef crashed and I want out of the hobby" posts. It benefits us as a club to make our members stronger so that our swaps grow rather than experience declines because we get too caught up with newest and greatest information.
Let's make our group of Manhattan Reefs solid and strong first.
Slama

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If having more meetings is on the table, I'd be happy to contribute in helping getting things set up - or even talk a bit from the perspective of someone who left the hobby many years ago and go back in recently (well, 2 years back). Either way, I like the idea!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Other "hobbies" have a monthly meeting, dinner followed by a featured presentation.

I think instead of meetings, we should just have dinners. Then someone, maybe me can speak about why bald people have fish tanks. Why I feed my fish Plaster of Paris and mud? Or add Clorox to our water.
OK, I won't mention that as that stuff is still a secret. OK, lets go to dinner

Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
Since this is my thread I can say this, meetings are a ridiculous idea. This is the tri-state not some back woods state. Most if not all have extremely busy schedules and weekly or monthly meetings might look good on paper but the reality is that no one has the time to either take on setting such meetings or even dinners up, or getting the attendance to validate the trouble it would take to make it happen.
We need to address the masses when the masses are together, hence the SWAP. It accommodates everyone at one event once or twice a year.
This thread is for the possible suggestions on how to educate beginners and intermediate reefers AT THE SWAP!
Jesus...

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
+1 For a great idea.
I've learned a lot from this forum and others. But I've learned even more from speaking with fellow hobbyist and LFS staff.
This was my 3rd MR swap and the first 2 had a lot of familiar faces. Maybe it's just me, but this year's swap seem to have a lot of new faces. And I'm sure these new members will find such a roundtable or QA session very valuable.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
There was a great workshop at MACNA with Julian Sprung. I guess he forgot to write up another discussion and turned it into a Q&A. Was the best workshop I attended. Would be awesome to see a panel of MR reefers fielding questions.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: