Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 6 foot dual overflow 150 Gallon RR tank. I have been running a CA4000 pump which claims 1300 Gallons P/H. That number obviously is lower with the plumbing which in my case comes from a 3/4 pipe into a T and up to 2 returns, one on each side of tank.
I always had a backup CA4000 since they are cheap and I have had to actually swap them back and forth from time to time.
Anyway one died finally.
I went and bought a DCT8000.... 8000 standing for 8000 liters P/H.
Is it ok to run it that high or should I be running at half strength or somewhere in between?
I just installed it and at full power I definitely notice a lot more water movement in the tank. Since I just installed it and its already night time I lowered to half power, that should be just over what my old pump claimed for max power.

Thoughts ?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
personally i dont agree with the higher the better, this means water is travelling faster through your sump leaving less reaction time for your skimmer and water pulling past it faster. same for if you have a fuge, this is imo though

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
i see your point. but as far as the skimmer... would the amount of water flowing around it change what is happening inside the skimmer? When i think of a skimmer, im under the impression that contact time in the reactor is what drives the efficiency. So i think of it that more water flowing through the skimmer compartment will more rapidly dilute the "clean" water coming out of the skimmer thus allowing a smaller percentage of this "clean" water to re-enter the skimmer. This means more "dirty/non skimmed" water will enter the skimmer to be "cleaned".

But i can be totally wrong. My brain works in some weird ways. haha.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: