xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a number of painted backgrounds and was thinking of painting mine Navy Blue. I read an earlier post of someonepainting it as two woned but I cannot find the post of the photo. I was thinking of making a fade in background. Does anyone have photos of there backgrounds? Thanks

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
you can buy faded backgrounds at ur LFS. I believe the thread your talking about the member painted it that way , requiring a little artistic dna. He painted a peice of board and put it behind the tank.(could have been on RC too) Your background will eventually be pointless b/c coraline algae will grow over it, if ur tank matures properly.

vanceny

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
When spraypainting your first coat you need to leave unpainted areas. What it looks like from the back is not what it will look like from the front. Once the first coat is on the second coat will not bleed through the first unless the first coat is really thin and spread out.
When I did mine the first coat (blue) had too much coverage and the black did not show through the blue. Just remember to look through the front of the glass when painting to see what it looks like as you go.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've always spraypainted my backgrounds. Very simple. Mask off the sides of the tank on the back. Lay the tank down so that the back is on top (this prevents paint from dripping and leaving marks if you over spray). Start from the bottom and work your way up. Keep the can 10-14 inches away from the tank for even distribution of paint. Cover about 1 to 1.5 ft per stroke.

When done, use a blade to scrape off any paint that got on the side glass. If sprayed evenly you should not need a second or third coat. If unsure repeat.

I would not bother with painting or spraying a second color beind the first. If you use Royal Blue, it is rich enough that light does not go through it. If you want a brighter blue use True Blue.

Man, I miss the good ole days when I was a graffiti artist bombing the city. :afro:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I use limo tint. Any car pimp shop carry those. Takes less than 5 minutes to apply with no mess or fumes. And equally easy to remove. On my last tank I used black tint and on my current tank I use a graduated tint. Black on the top and mirrored on the bottom. Looks great and I will use the same on the next tank also.

HTH
Herman

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
Take a look on background in my tank ;)
Maybe you would like it, if yes and your tank is not too big (55-90 gal)
I still have couple modules left and can resale.
This is Back To Nature product, I imported this stuff from europe.
sorry but I have only movie...

BACKGOUND

Regards,
mark

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: