• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a big beautiful Colt Coral that has been slowly shrinking over the past 5 months. It all started when I moved from T5s to LEDS.

That coral never shriveled up or shed, it simply has been shrinking. No signs of necrosis or anything but over that time it has shrunk to less that a 1/4 of it's size.

All my other softies have been fine with the new LEDs even after I reduced the intensity of the light.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of chemical warfare going on, I'm totally baffled. I tried moving the coral to a different part of the tank and it seems even unhappier after that.

Anyways wondering if anyone in the Windsor Terrace/Park Slope area of Brooklyn would like to take off my hands to see if it has a better chance in another tank. It still seems very healthy, it's just getting smaller. Thinking a foster home may be in order.

This is a photo of the coral back in the beginning of November. Attached is a photo of it today with the lights out.

It is on a large rock about the size of a softball.

PM me if you are around this weekend to foster it.

Attachments

• 20151205_111530.jpg
    20151205_111530.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 470

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Did you get a PAR reading before and after the light swap? I'm a fan of these because they are colorful, take up room, provide movement and are filter feeders. The only time I ever noticed mine deflate is when I had an algae issue and I reduced my lighting period significantly.

waltercat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did not do a PAR reading. I have no clue how I'd even do that. I have had the LEDs since the beginning of July. Wouldn't corals get used to the light change by now? I thought soft corals loved light.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I did not do a PAR reading. I have no clue how I'd even do that. I have had the LEDs since the beginning of July. Wouldn't corals get used to the light change by now? I thought soft corals loved light.

OK a PAR reading for every coral you own is a bit far fetched, but these guys def love light so I'd be bringing him UP in the tank instead of down, and it wouldn't hurt to smell the thing to make sure its not dying, if its not dying it could just be shedding a layer of skin. My .02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: