G

gay

i am new to the hobby and very down since the blackout. i lost my nemo after the blackout and also a coral beauty, but a damsel survive.
nemos body must have been aten behind rock?

i dont have any money so my new reef will be without any more fish for some time.

i guess it could be worse but one side of me wants to give up reefkeeping already i didn know it would be so complicated.

:(

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Do not be discouraged because you lost a clown and an angel. Many people lost a lot more life than you during the blackout. If you are serious into the reef hobby (obsession), and want to limit your losses, spend lots of time reading on this site and also Reefcentral.com. The stuff you learn on these sites is based mostly on the experience of other reefers...so you don't make the same mistakes.

good luck,
Rich

G

gay

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
thank u jackson thats so sweet. i will probaby get some damsels as every other kind of fish too pricey for me now and what if another blackout.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Gay, Please do not allow yourself to be discouraged. A reef is the most beautiful, satisfying, relaxing hobby you could ever get into. I have kept fresh water aquariums for about 30yrs., salt water for about 3, and a reef for about 1 1/2. I have to tell you the most satisfying one has been the reef. I don't have much in it, but still, and all I love my reef.
As to just getting some damsels, I would just save my money. I would hold out until I have saved enough to purchase the fish that I know I would really enjoy. All salt water fish are not expensive. I also do not have a ton of money, therefore I look for specials, and I buy my fish small and watch them grow. As a matter of fact I get more pleasure out watching them grow. You get the satisfaction of knowing you are doing something right.
As to another "Black Out", gee I have lived through the three. They seem to come around every 20yrs. or so. Plenty of time for you device a plan. I lost nothing but my star polyps, and they appear to be coming back. I did nothing during the black out, but open all the lids, and doors on all my tanks. 4 tanks, and a koi pond, and all the fish survived. Don't ask me how, or why I can't answer that. Blessed I would have to say.
Best of luck to you.
Blessed be................

G

gay

Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Awi

thx for encouragement. i like small fish and like to watch them grow as long as they dont get too big. i had some fish that just grew up to fast and got big ugly and mean. thats why i kind of love damsels because they so small and cute. i know they get big to but not as fast as say my yellow tang who died. he was a big fat pig!

4 tanks and a koi pond? sounds so beautiful! you must have a big place... where in Queens are you?

;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Gay: My place is not big at all. My pond is small just 50gls., my tanks are distributed around the house. 120gl.reef in the livingroom, 50gl.fresh water & 30gl.FOWLR in the diningroom, and the 75gl.Saltwater fish only is in the den. Actually my place is pretty crowded, but I love my hobby. I'm in South Ozone Park near JFK airport.
I understand what you mean about liking small fish over the larger ones, but damsels can be very mean even meaner then some of the large ones. If I were you I would look at other species of small fish. Check out a couple of from your local library, and go to sites like "liveaquaria", and you will see the varities of small fish you could keep. Best of luck to you. I'm here for you.......
Blessed be.........
thumb.gif

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gay
If your looking for small non aggressive fish look into some of the gobies. Their great little fish and pretty peaceful too. I had a couple of Catalina gobies & Lemon gobies in my 125. They only get about 1-2 inches long and are pretty cheap, around $15.

Jeff

G

gay

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Jeff,

yeah i love Catalina Gobies too, i bought two but they died the next day. they are tiny little things and the guy said they needed cooler water. my temperture does go up to 82 sometimes so maybe i wont try Catalinas again. now what?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: