Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Why do so many people get out of the hobby?
This hobby has been around for 44 years and yet you can count the number of tanks that are at least 20 years old on one hand. OK, maybe two, I didn't really count, but work with me. The vast majority of threads are very new tanks and the second largest number of threads besides disease threads is "Getting out of the hobby, everything for sale" threads. Why is that?
I think I know. It takes a special (weird) type of person to keep at this for a large number of years. By that I mean a person with more varied interests than just keeping some beautiful fish alive. When I started, me and Moses would sit and watch our guppies. After we managed to keep the fish alive we got so excited to see them spawn. Then we would sit up all night with an eye dropper so we could feed each one individually and watch it grow. We were horrified when one (or most of them) died. And they were guppies. Then when we were proficient with breeding different strains of guppies to get different colors we tried mollies, then swordtails and any livebearers we could get our hands on. But that got boring and we needed more of a challenge. There were so many fish to choose from. We had kissing gourami?s, angelfish, discus, zebra?s and bettas with their very cool bubble nests. We did this for years until that was so easy that we did not get excited when our fish spawned. Not being exciting is death to a hobby and we almost went on to other endeavors like trying to guess the phone numbers of Supermodels. But wait. Something happened just in the nick of time that kept us in the hobby.
Someone imported salt water fish into the US. I don't remember who that was but whoever he was, it kept my interest because now I no longer needed to watch my freshwater fish spawn as that was boring because everyone was able to do it. If anyone can do it, it isn't as much fun because we couldn't brag about our success and get fish Geek points. The thrill was gone.
But saltwater fish opened up an entirely new field that no one knew anything about. If a store sold salt water fish they had a huge sign in their window proclaiming that they had salt water fish. That usually meant they had a 5 gallon tank with three, ich infested blue devils and a depressed domino with a social disease on his way to having last rites. But those damsels were so fascinating because now, we again had bragging rites and although we were not very good at keeping these guys alive, no one else could either. Eventually our damsels spawned for us and we were again able to get out the eye dropper and stay up late at night feeding them one at a time. The thrill was back. Much of the thrill was that there was virtually no information available about these things, I mean none, and computers were not invented yet so every day that we kept a damsel alive was a thrill, sort of like bungee jumping but different. I really miss those days as now it is simple to keep most fish alive and to kill a damsel you need to lay it in the street and have a 1957 Chevy Malibu run over it, twice.
Now with the internet and advice coming from every little village on earth there is very little thrill at all. If you need to know something all you do is Google it and an entire plethora of information is at your fingertips. Of course almost all of it is wrong based on rumor, conjecture, supposition, guesswork, innuendos, and drug induced rantings by someone who started a tank last Tuesday and now is the resident expert.

I myself have been doing this a while so I know better on a few things but I can see how it can be overwhelming. I read so many things that I am so opposed to that it drives me nuts so I limit my posts on almost all forums now because of the arguments. Of course I am also old and opinionated so I guess I also am easy to argue with. My old school theories are debunked by young college grads with all sorts of book learning and a cell phone with a google app ready to find something to disagree with. That is fine and is the way of the world. But I think the main reason so many people drop out is that most of the thrill is gone. Almost every fish that can be kept, is kept. We can now keep fish for their entire normal lifespan with no problems.
Thank God for corals. Those gems are still a source of wonder as there are so many types with different needs and so many opinions as to their care. How much light? How much current? Do they need to be fed? What is the best temperature and salinity? How much nitrate can they handle and how much do they need, if any? Would a Supermodel be able to successfully keep a coral? No one really knows so the hobby has hope.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Expensive, if you earn $42k per year and drop $5k in a year on guppies it quickly becomes unsustainable, for many the breaking point is even lower than $5k.

Trail and error causes loses.
Random loses also occur.

This hobby if not approach slowly and with a multi year approach tends to be too much financially, emotionally.

Did I mention most of us lie to our significant others about the cost of the hobby. Makes bad relationships worse, causes tension in stable ones.

It's not for everyone
I know at least twice a year i consider selling mine but then I wake up.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i think to someone who thinks that this hobby is easy it becomes a chore for a lot of people when they don't get the results that they think are easy to achieve and loose interest a lot of people don't realize that it is hard work to maintain a great reef tank i have been doing this like you for a long time and sometime i think that we are slaves to our tanks there is not 1 day that i don't spend at least half hour to an hour a day and sometime i say to myself i must be crazy but then i look at my acros and see that they are getting brighter or deeper in color and those feelings subside

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
People leave for many reasons:

1. Moving. People have to move and can't take the tank or move to a place where they're not allow to have one or the space is too small for one.
2. Landlord tells them that they can't have the tank, or they had a flood, and had to get rid of the tank.
3. Got married and/or have a baby and needed the space. Also when having a baby people don't have the time to work on the tank, so they get rid of it.
4. Cost. It can cost quite a bite to run a tank, and that's not including the livestock.
5. Time. People sometimes get a new job, or their currently job just takes up too much of their time so they can't work on the tank, or even look at it.
6. People get tired of the tank and sell it.
7. People can't manage the tank, especially in the summer when they go on vacations, so they break the tank down and reset it up in the fall.
8. The results aren't good or things are dying, which leads to be frustrated and a person leaving he hobby.
9. Accidents, tank or heaters breaking, which leads to things dying and people just giving up and leaving the hobby.
10. People find a new hobby that they enjoy more.

I'm sure there are more but I would think those are the most popular ones.

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've only been doing this for a year and I'm addicted to it like a crack fien! I couldn't imagine leaving it! I actually wish I started in my teens but people use to scare me away from the hobby about how hard it is to maintain a saltwAter tank you will kill your fishes you will kill your corals so I stayed away.
Now that I'm in it I love every part of it! The fishes the corals the challenge of main ting a reef...The one thing I will say that can only stray me away is how expensive this hobby is...I'm into motorcycles as well and this hobby blows it out of the water in pricing. next year I have a challenge a new Bike or a bigger tank and the tank is more expensive than a new bike lol...I think for a lot of people is usually a money issue and also people fall out of love with the hobby it turns into Job

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Did I mention most of us lie to our significant others about the cost of the hobby. Makes bad relationships worse, causes tension in stable ones.

This is very very common. If you asked my wife I'm the luckiest guy walking the planet, winning a lot of things in Raffles.
Also everything Marrone said
Plus the Summer.
These are pets. Coral essentially lives forever and fish can live longer than most dogs and cats

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yup, good topic. Agree with all points. Will add...think people move, whatever and realize how much more free time and money they have, then don't come back. Also, some lfs give crap advice leading to fail after spend more money fail.

An exciting time to be in the hobby. With all the advancements in nutrition, lighting, and ways of minimizing maintenance. As well as years of people's tireless experimenting, thanx Paul, we're seeing lots of things not before possible.

Lostinthedark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've been keeping fish tanks since the 60s. Yes Goldfish bowl, then Guppies and eventually up to Swordtails. I asked the landlord in my first apartment if I could keep a small tank and he almost popped a gasket when he saw a 55 gal saltwater tank.
The only times I haven't had a tank was while moving and that was only tempoary. I just could not imagine a home without a tank smack dab in the middle of the living room.

Savagerican326

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 91.7%
11   1   0
I think one of the main reason is that all tanks need water changes and people at times get overwhelmed with water changes and life in general. If there was some way to do water changes without lifting a finger and having to check this or that and just sit back and enjoy the tank and fish then I think more people would keep there tanks around. Oh did I mention the price of the water bill, the wife nagging because she want the tank out of her dining room and last but not least the price u pay to stay in this hobby makes u feel like u need another job. I've seen guys pay 1000 for a tank light and get out of the hobby a month later.

Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I left salt water for about two years. Got heavily into West African cichlids. With winter coming thinking about a new reef tank for some softies, and some micro fish.
My opinion, when you are a REAL fish person, it's always in you. Havent been without some type of running tank in thirty years. Wow, getting old er.
Also, built a Koi pond last spring (fish guy here). Funny thing is though, not a big fisherman...

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
I left the hobby back in maybe 2009-2010? My tank crashed due to a 4ft snow storm that killed the power to my House for 2 weeks.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I didn't say the challenge has left the hobby for "me." There are so many things I want to accomplish in this hobby but there are also so many things that I already accomplished so they are not as much of a thrill for me any longer. All my paired fish are spawning. That was my main goal but I still have not spawned all the fish that can spawn. I can keep corals, but I can't keep all corals. I can keep most, but not all fish. Now my biggest thrill in the hobby is building things. I already designed a way to build my rocks and most of my rock, I built. I already collected all of my rock using SCUBA which was a lot of fun. But after you fill your tank with rock and have a hundred pounds left over. You are done connecting rock. Building rocks opened up an entirely new aspect of the hobby for me. I have also dove with almost all the creatures I have ever kept and had a wonderful life of traveling just to dive in exotic places, some I can't even pronounce. I also like to build my other equipment and built my protein skimmer, surface skimmer and target feeders for mandarins and pipefish. I built the shrimp hatcheries and a way to collect the fry as they hatch. This week I built a water cooled LED fixture that I will install tomorrow. I am not running out of things to build or creatures to keep. I even have two patents on aquarium related devices and just published a book. I have done quite a lot of things in the hobby but the things I already did, some many times I am not as interested in any longer. People ask me all the time If I raise the fish that spawn. I do not. I did a few times and as I said in my first post, I really enjoyed that as that is the pinnacle of this hobby. But after you do that often enough and know you could do it, you lost interest in doing it again and prefer to do something else in the hobby. Maybe raise squid, jellyfish, hermit crabs, Supermodels or manta rays.
I still very much love the hobby and will always be in it. I just enjoy different aspects of it. I still get excited when my bluestripe pipefish or mandarins spawn. But not nearly as much as the first time. The first thing I do every morning is run my finger over the glass of the tank to check the temperature. Then I notice if the water level is where it should be. After that I know all is well and I go about my day knowing my fish are fine. Some of them have been in there for over 20 years so they are a part of my life. For me this is not a hobby but a way of life. I have had a tank now for about 60 years so it is really in my blood.
As for it being expensive, it is as expensive as you want it to be. I spend very little on my tank, I think I figured it out once at about $960.00 a year including electricity. But I don't have controllers, dosers, UV sterilizers or bio pellets. So that is a few grand I didn't spend. I have also had my tank when I was an apprentice electrician in the 70s living in a tiny apartment with my wife and then Daughter when I was bringing home after taxes $52.00 a week. I did side jobs to pay the bills and feed the fish. But then and now the fish eat mostly clams which cost about fifty cents a week. I also moved in 1978 and brought the tank, water, fish, UG filter and rocks with me.
There are plenty of excuses to leave the hobby and just times when we lost interest or one of our family members gets sick. I know how that is as my wife of 42 years has MS and I spend more time helping her so I have less time for my hobbies. But the hobby, to me is also a release and gives me an opportunity to experiment and get the creative juices flowing. I don't have any tank problems any more so I can concentrate on just pure enjoyment.
I love this stuff.
Thank you all of you guys for responding. I am glad this thread created some conversation.

Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I remember your threads from the past. Always amazed how deep one, especially you, can get. Breeding Manderins ? Wow, what is the key to even keeping them healthy and happy ?
New H P, have you been to the new store that opened on J. trnpike ? Any good ?

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to read this thread thru later... if new people get with a good store, they will have success. They can start easy but still attractive and fun, and then move to something more experienced as they gain that with help from a qualified aquarium store staff.

If new people get with trying to cut corners and take bad advice they will be out of the hobby fast.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My First. Thank you for responding. Mandarins, ruby red dragonettes and bluestripe pipefish spawn every few weeks as that is what healthy fish do. If they are not spawning, they are not healthy. I have written extensively on this.
That new store on Jericho is good. Very clean, nice selection, prices not to bad but I forget about it even though I can walk there from my house. He is the same owned who had "New Hyde Park Pets" a few blocks from his store now. My favorite store is Aquarium Village across the street from Fortunoffs in westbury. I was just there and go there twice a week just to hang around and make a pest of myself.
As for the secret to mandarins, I am a writer on this site and here is what I think about mandarins http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

Here is my pregnant ruby red dragonette. The secret to any fish is the proper food.

The pipefish to the back is pregnant.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: