Status
Not open for further replies.

gpscuba

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Dukes tank is amazing and don't see anything wrong with what he is doing stop the hate. Ps the frag you gave me is doing great and looks great and it was free. He has help me with my tank and always looking to help new reefers.

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent was not to "call" anyone out or hate on any individual. That is why I didn't mention anyone one in my first post. People voluntarily confessed to doing this and put themselves out there.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My intent was not to "call" anyone out or hate on any individual. That is why I didn't mention anyone one in my first post. People voluntarily confessed to doing this and put themselves out there.

Next time call me out,
Instead of asking "did you name the coral after yourself" on my sale thread. You're an *******.

Sharkbait ??

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
This site is the only site I have seen this happen. Is this the future of the hobby? The name thing never really annoyed me until now. This is just crazy.

The name game has been going on for years, and in some case before MR was even around, even hear of the Garf Bonsai? Many hobbyist have had corals named after them, and in some case they didn't even have the coral themselves anymore. I remember speaking with Kedd at a Xmas party we had about this very fact, as he actually had to buy a coral that had his name on it because he no longer had, and hadn't for years. A lot of times this was done for lineage or to make sure that what had was the right coral. Then you had vendors doing this as a way for them to distinguish their products, basically branding it, and then being able to charge more. Was this right? Probably not but it's the marketing angle and happens with all type of products in all type of industries, just get a look at some of those info-commercials that are on TV.

As for this only happening on MR? Well, I think you need to take a look at other website or even ORA, who has names on their corals. If anything it actually happens less here than other places. And if you consider how long MR has been around, the amount of corals that have members names on them is very small, and we have had some members who have had unbelievable tanks too.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'm a relatively new hobbyist and just recently started to grow sticks.
I want to emphasize that I not only support the naming conventions, but I also like to see it when local hobbyist and friends have such great success that their name become synonymous with a coral.

And to the OP, sometimes hobbyist becomes famous without any deliberate attempt. And they don't deliberately try to push their name, other hobbyist who have come to respect their fellow hobbyist only see it fitting to give such credit.

Referring to recent posts, I can say that when a fellow hobbyist sees fit to say that I got this piece from so-and-so name, its not only a reference to the lineage, but also speaks to the successes such hobbyist have had with growing such coral.

As part of local reef clubs many of us have had the pleasure of touring multiple homes to see first hand the successes. I and many others will vouch for any piece that is from jackson's system.

While I completely understand what your intent was, I can say that on a site like MR, and any other sites, it will be difficult to game the forum for profits. Others will step in and voice their opinion. And this thread is evidence of very seasoned hobbyist stepping in to not only offer their opinions but to also support the local hobbyists who have had such great success.

I'm hoping I was able to make my point, especially since I'm quite drunk trying to type this, but felt it was important to offer my $0.02

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0

I'm new to SPS so I read all the forums, many different pages, tens of different websites,,so I do what anybody does, pick tanks I like and follow those peoples trends. So it was fairly easy to spot that this was a loaded thread from the jump off because I read both comments you made on other threads.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Duke said the coral has no lineage and was very honest in that regard. He could have said it was a Tyree, Reef Raft or any of the others. Let's face it, anyone can claim they got a coral from x or y or z. When we start seeing lineage papers I would say we have gone over board. In any even, I have no problem buying a coral with another hobbyist name on it. That way I remember where I bought it. And further, this is a small community of really cool people just having fun growing corals. Don't take things too seriously.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this debate comes up all the time. I have never seen people take it so personally as in this thread. IMO the whole lineage thing has become a joke and marketing ploy.

I have some nice AshleyS green star polyp $55 per polyp. I also have AshleyS ultra xenia $65 a stalk. J/K.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 posts and you see it all the time. Looked at your previous post and 1 thread it's says you have a 700 gallon tank that came with the house and another post that says you just had a tank installed at your house hmmm

How many post do you need to participate in this conversation? My 5 posts (6 after this), 700 gallon tank and I will hang out in the marketplace until I get 1,000 posts.

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'll chime in...I have a few pieces from WWC Jason fox and corbred. I chose to buy it from them. We can all go to our local LFS I'm in Bensonhurst Brooklyn so mines is pop corals and buy a frag with no name. It's all up the buyer if he wants something that has a crazy name to it or not. This really doesn't have to be a debate its like some one who shops at Payless and someone who shops at Saks 5th ave ... If you can afford it God bless you and enjoy and if you can't just buy the 5$ frags which are just as nice... Some one is mad cause some one else can buy Gucci and Prada we all don't have to buy these items cause they have a name

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in...I have a few pieces from WWC Jason fox and corbred. I chose to buy it from them. We can all go to our local LFS I'm in Bensonhurst Brooklyn so mines is pop corals and buy a frag with no name. It's all up the buyer if he wants something that has a crazy name to it or not. This really doesn't have to be a debate its like some one who shops at Payless and someone who shops at Saks 5th ave ... If you can afford it God bless you and enjoy and if you can't just buy the 5$ frags which are just as nice... Some one is mad cause some one else can buy Gucci and Prada we all don't have to buy these items cause they have a name

It's like going to Payless and buying a no name brand of sneakers. Then selling the sneakers as WTBCLOWNFISH air Jordans.

The price of the frags haven't been brought up. This is a discussion about names not price. It isn't people complaining because they can't afford it. I think my name is silly $25 for Duke Sprague plus a freebie is not a bad price and I'm not knocking him on that.

Last edited:

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I think it works in certain situations for example. You can buy a Maricultured red table and "hope" it survives. But if I'm looking for version that has survived and flourished in a reef tank then I will look for a red table from someone like mshur reefbum etc. that's gives me at least a fighting chance it will grow. in a scenario like this a "name" makes sense to me.

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
true but it was yout choice to buy a duke sprague if duke has good reviews and other people on here can vouch for him i would buy something from him a sunset mille is a sunset mille no matter who name is in front of it and if duke has it for 25$ and WWC has it for 40$ im going to duke as long as it looks good

WTBClownfish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
true but it was yout choice to buy a duke sprague if duke has good reviews and other people on here can vouch for him i would buy something from him a sunset mille is a sunset mille no matter who name is in front of it and if duke has it for 25$ and WWC has it for 40$ im going to duke as long as it looks good

My point exactly the hobbiest naming coral after their user name on a fourm is silly unless they are trying to become a coral farmer or create a brand. Other then people who spend a lot of time on this site, who the hell is even going to know who Dukes coral lineage is?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: