acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I will be getting my 180 gallon acrylic tank delivered soon and had a question about the stand. I read that the bottom of acrylic tanks need to be fully supported and was wondering what exactly does that mean? The tanks foot print is 6'x2'. I was planning on building the stand out of 2" tube steel and was going to weld 2' sections to every foot or so running down the 6 foot length of stand. Is that enough support or do I need to have the entire bottom supported with a sheet of pressure treated plywood or something along that line on top of the 2'x6' frame. Thanks in advance for the advice. I can draw something up if this doesn't make sense.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah its going to cost a pretty penny but I think in the long run it will be the best looking and least to maintain. I have a steel shop and our welder is the best. Welds aluminum like a roll of dimes. Getting anxious they shipped the tank out of Florida last night.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't think so its going to be in a separate fish room the tanks going to be a through wall tank. Flush with the wall on the playroom side and I'll be able to maintain it on the fish room side I'm planning on leaving everything open. I'm starting construction within the next couple of weeks.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok decided to go with tube steel and going to hot dip galvanize the stand. Does anyone know if the zinc would effect the tank corral if it would somehow get into the water? Also I was thinking of using corian counter top material instead of the plywood for the top of the stand does anyone see any issues with that?

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have been reading about it. I feel better off not going that route and rolling the dice guess I'm going to get the steel powder coated which was my last choice but now seems like my only choice. Stainless Steel is just way to expensive.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
With wood I will need a center leg which I don't really want. I will only need four legs with steel. Decided to use steel with marine grade tenemac paint. I will post pics once I start building which should be mid week.

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ok I was thinking of using some left over safety clear plastic acrylic for the solid base in lieu of plywood. Would that work? What is the reason behind needing a solid sheet of plywood? Does the acrylic tanks bow in between the horizontal supports?

acolaojr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I already built a stand out of tube steel just trying to figure out why I have to support the entire bottom of the tank with a full sheet of "something" and if plexy glass would be a good substitute for plywood. I am trying to stay away from any organic materials that can rot or grow mold. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• tank stand.jpg
    tank stand.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 60

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: