Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Anyone here using coralife and notice a low calcium issue? I've used it in the past and never had a problem but after my last few water changes cal is at 340. I'll test the fresh mixed salt water later, haven't done that yet.
But system water after a few nice changes has been 340 cal and 7.7 alk. I'm running a cal reactor. Also after last couple of changes had some Stn.
Thanks

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Im using some recently purchased coralife with no issues keeping calcium up at all. Tagging along to see what the results are of the tests of fresh mixed. Please keep us posted. If it comes up low maybe try mixing up whats left and see if maybe it settled out?

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Yes, I calibrate it all the time. I even calibrated with ro also just in case my solution was off

Everything you read says not to calibrate with RO. I would recalibrate with the fluid. Either order new fluid, and or check against another experienced trusted reefers calibrated refractometer. It sounds like you have made up your mind that it must be the salt... Maybe your Mg is not in check, maybe something is going on with your reactor... I don't have the golden answer unfortunately. Change salts if you wish, a word of caution. I spent months loosing all my corals testing and retesting parameters, using multiple test kits. No matter what I did I couldn't get my tank stable. I was at the point of tossing all my sand rock and bio media and starting over. I changed to coralife and after a few water changes my tank bounced back. This salt is time tested and proven by several well known and successful reefers. I would exhaust all other possibilities before changing.

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
I calibrated both ways, I agree I never calibrate with ro, just did it this time to see if the calibration solution was way off. And I've been using Coralife with nice results until now. Mag is 1325 by the way. I know about mag and its role in Alk and cal stability. But for the salt to be testing at 350 cal seems to be a problem. But I will buy a new cal test kit and recheck to be sure. I'm trying to find the problem. I went over 2 months without a water change and tank was thriving. Then I did a water change and some corals went south. I'm sure there is a possibility of a bad batch. And I also know it's possible it is something else which is why I started this thread to see if other users had the same low calcium in there salt.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Jackson makes a good point. Bad batches happen. Would sooner call rather than email. Sometimes companies can pleasantly surprise you in an attempt to keep pr on the positive. Nothing to loose

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
I just got a reply from them. Emailed them last night. They're talking about mixing the salt up first in the bucket but mine was 4-50g bags inside the bucket. I opened them and dumped them into another bucket I have. So to me that should mix up the dry salt pretty well

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
That's interesting... Nice that they will replace it but most of us are in the same boat with not saving store receipts. A little more incentive for shopping online as the receipts are usually stored in e mail. Hopefully the store hooks you up.

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Honestly it's not so much about a free bucket of salt as it is finding out what the heck went wrong with my tank. So I guess the fact that they are gonna send me a new one kind of tells me something is wrong with the salt I guess. Still ordered new cal test kit and going to get a new calibration solution just to make sure i rule out everything

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: