KatLongo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm back in the hobby -- I hope! I had to break down my 180 a few years ago after Sandy destroyed. I used the funds to purchase a beautiful setup (I think so anyway) - which has never been set up. I'm about to embark on this project but need a bit of advice.

I'm now in Westchester (instead of Bergen County) and need someone that can help me add glass baffles to the tank I'm going to use as my sump - is there anyone up here that you would recommend? A LFS? A glass place?

and a more technical question -- I'm using a Tunze Silence 1073.05 as my return pump -- it's a 3/4 in fitting - the stand pipe for the return is also 3/4" but the overflow is 1"? I'm sure I did the research on this when I bought this setup, but I can't remember why they're different and what problems I may run into with the overflow being larger than the return --

And, lastly, I sold off most of my live rock when I broke down the tank, but kept enough to set up my new, smaller tank. I just opened up the buckets they've been stored in for two years -- I expected to have totally dead, dry rock - one of the buckets is. The other has two huge rocks that are still damp and filled with hair algae!!!!! What's the best way to kill this crap off???

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome back.
A single overflow design with a 1" overflow drainpipe can do 800 gph safely, np. Your tunze at 5' head height is going to be around 350 gph so you're good. You want the return pump to put back to the tank/going though the sump around 4-6x the amount of gallons that's in your display per hour.
Hose off the rock with a powerful hose, then something like this http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=16+2249&aid=2833

KatLongo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
theMEAT -- thanks -- the tank is a 60 gallon rimless so the pump is good for that. I remember doing the research to be sure I had the best I could afford for a new tank - Now I'm second guessing the me of three years ago! - I can't wait to see my LED and skimmer running!

KatLongo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It's gonna take a while -- we move the end of May -- I'm making sure I can plumb the thing now and then move in and get it cycling - I'm thinking black sand to match my blue/black painted background. Still working out the thoughts on an aggressive tank vs a coral tank. It's smaller than I'm used to -- I had a 180 with tangs and starfish and angels and clowns and shrimp and corals and......... I miss them all. This will be different for me as I started with a 29 for six months and went to a 150 and then a 180! Huge step smaller for me - the 20 gallon my clowns are living in (they're from my original 29 gallon 13 years ago) is not doing well so I hope I can handle the smallness of a 60

KatLongo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
LOL< acolaojr - I'm not even sure where to go up here! Most of the stuff in my old tank came from my NJ club or online. I bought my fish from a wholesaler up here -(wish I could remember his name, I'll have to go back through old messages).

My biggest need is someone to help me put baffles in my sump - I need a glass place to cut them and someone to help me install them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: