vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Can you guys please rec. me a UV ster for 300 gal mixed reef.
I just noticed my Achille have few ick and all the other fish are fine.
No i cant get him out due to the landscape which im not breaking apart for 1 fish. so i would rather purchase a UV
Thanks for the help guys

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Emperor aquatics 40watt uv = $415
Odyssea 36 watt = under $50

It is also more effective because the water going through spirals around the bulb, prolonging exposure time. Could buy two, have 72 watts, for a 1/4 the price.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Emperor aquatics 40watt uv = $415
Odyssea 36 watt = under $50

It is also more effective because the water going through spirals around the bulb, prolonging exposure time. Could buy two, have 72 watts, for a 1/4 the price.

i have read somewhere that the spiraling design doesnt work, i have tried the turbo twist and i not gonna lie it has sort of worked for me on curbing the ich (ran it for 2 straight weeks). but for some strange reason makes my skimmer go crazy.. i had to return it.

although im sure if you can afford the emperor aquatics one you should go that route.
BRS does a great video on why the emperor aquatics is the one to get.

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah I mean on a watt over watt price basis its not close. But I do believe the EA watt is not the same as an Odyssea watt. I also like the fact that you can reliably gravity feed the emperor unit if you valve it off. I think these units need to be big to kill and thats an issue if you dont have space. You need space to remove the long bulb too. You really need a fishroom. Pentair bought EA and I trust Pentair with all my pool sanitizing/ filtering/pumping as I think they make top quality stuff.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
i have read somewhere that the spiraling design doesnt work, i have tried the turbo twist and i not gonna lie it has sort of worked for me on curbing the ich (ran it for 2 straight weeks). but for some strange reason makes my skimmer go crazy.. i had to return it.

although im sure if you can afford the emperor aquatics one you should go that route.
BRS does a great video on why the emperor aquatics is the one to get.
over that 2 weeks you were seeing the live cycl of Ich, not how effective the uv is. one uv making your skimmer go crazy and the other not is weird.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah I mean on a watt over watt price basis its not close. But I do believe the EA watt is not the same as an Odyssea watt. I also like the fact that you can reliably gravity feed the emperor unit if you valve it off. I think these units need to be big to kill and thats an issue if you dont have space. You need space to remove the long bulb too. You really need a fishroom. Pentair bought EA and I trust Pentair with all my pool sanitizing/ filtering/pumping as I think they make top quality stuff.

A watt is a watt. While the quality of the bulb can vary, either it's in the uv spectrum or it's not, and the turbo twist and the knock off I posted uses the most widely used uv bulb. A 2g11, 4 pin base, which is made by many manufacturers for many different brands of uv sterilizers. Would put money on emperor probably uses one of these same bulb manufacturers to make their bulbs.
Ya know, I know I can come across a bit abrasive sometimes. It's just that in this hobby once in a while a great deal comes along, try to share it with ppl and this is what happens. Haven't seen that brs video on emperor's uv, but have followed along over the years on various forms the debate over Aqua uv vs. Emperor Aquatics. Where the fans of one point out the design flaws of the other. Pretty funny. And understandable why ppl would want to be right to try and justify spending so much money on a piece of plastic with a bulb in it.
I'm not a fan of the turbo twist. Think the design is good but the build quality not. Even though I have one on a tank for 7 years with no problems. The knock off I posted has the same twist around the bulb design, with an added reflector, and much better build quality. Also don't get how the twist around the bulb doesn't "really" work. The water travels further and spends more time in front of the uv light. Pretty simple. Wattage, flow rate, and exposure time is what makes it work. It's not rocket science.
Any uv I can think of will work gravity fed. Althou, regardless of brand, some bubble could pass throu, reducing its effectiveness, and the uv won't penetrate dirty water as well as it would clear water. So not the best idea.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: