Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I was looking to do a peninsula style reef so I had more coral placement room however I haven't come by any glass tanks pre drilled peninsula style . But here's my dilemma it's on the second floor . So I thought maybe acrylic would be my best choice but I've seen 2 of my buddy's destroy there acrylic tanks . Are they that much lighter to be worth the fear of constant scratching ? They surely are lighter to lift and I love how you can still and cut them with regular wood tools . But online I think my math showed 8% lighter is that enough to make a difference ?

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
There's formulas for that. What size are the beams, and how far of a span between the walls below?

There's 2 rooms above the space below which is a approximate 22ftx16ft living room I'm not 100% sure of the size of the beams I'll try and search I know it was built in 1970 it's attached on both sides it's a development .

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Where is the wall dividing the 2 rooms below in relation to the tank above? Will the tank be parallel or perpendicular to the beams? Is the wall below parallel or perpendicular to the beams above it? Over the internet you can get a general idea of the limits, but to know for sure your best bet is to consult an engineer, architect, or contractor. Asking a building inspector could open a can of worms for you. Most residential homes are built to 40psf specs but that's for the entire floor. it can vary from one area to another greatly. There's also floor strength vs floor stiffness. Meaning the floor can hold the weight but may bounce when you walk past. Will the stand have 2, 4, 6 legs/points of contact? The list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
No the wall is above 1 bedroom and another which isn't in use really . Below is the same space but just a big living room space I wanted to put the tank at the foot of my bed . I was going with the acrylic becouse it was light and the tank was longer and not as tall and in this way catching more beams

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Just in saltwater weight 180 gallons is like 1,500 lbs. Add the tank, stand, rocks, sump, lights. Personally wouldn't put that in the middle of a span unless there's a wall below it, or you add some steel to the beams across that span below, or both. Again, this is over the internet, i'm just speculating. Another thought is the relative to all the other things, the small amount of weight saving of acrylic over glass will probably be lost in the fact that acrylic tanks need more support/stand to hold them up safely. To keep the bottom of the acrylic tank from bowing.

Last edited:

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Just in saltwater weight 180 gallons is like 1,500 lbs. Add the tank, stand, rocks, sump, lights. Personally wouldn't put that in the middle of a span unless there's a wall below it, or you add some steel to the beams across that span below, or both. Again, this is over the internet, i'm just speculating. Another thought is the relative to all the other things, the small amount of weight saving of acrylic over glass will probably be lost in the fact that acrylic tanks need more support/stand to hold them up safely. To keep the bottom of the acrylic tank from bowing.

The tank I was looking at is only 75 gallons and despite never going with acrylic before I'm a glass guy the tanks 60inches so I figured the weight would disperse better and may lead to some cool coral choices

Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is properly the biggest decision your going to make......placement. I also wanted a peninsula set up, found a LPS off Rt. 231 in Long Island, but he was a jackass. I went with 2 overflows, one in each corner. That's a lot of glass to scrape! Think again, then again! I put my 180 downstairs, and made my man-cave. The tank needs to be away from any natural light, but in a room that's comfortable, finished, and away from any household sprays. There is some noise depending on your set up, but if your not married, I'm sure having it in your bedroom is cool. Remember, most people don't have a TV in the bedroom for a reason, not me, but most people. There's more distractions in your tank, and I don't watch TV anymore!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
With a 75 gallon you should be fine. Would check the bouncing thing with a 5 gal bucket or something. Would also go glass in a reef tank, with coraline growth and the likes. Johny makes a good point about the noise, and the smell and mess could be annoying as well.

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
This is properly the biggest decision your going to make......placement. I also wanted a peninsula set up, found a LPS off Rt. 231 in Long Island, but he was a jackass. I went with 2 overflows, one in each corner. That's a lot of glass to scrape! Think again, then again! I put my 180 downstairs, and made my man-cave. The tank needs to be away from any natural light, but in a room that's comfortable, finished, and away from any household sprays. There is some noise depending on your set up, but if your not married, I'm sure having it in your bedroom is cool. Remember, most people don't have a TV in the bedroom for a reason, not me, but most people. There's more distractions in your tank, and I don't watch TV anymore!

Haha I have a tv on and can't sleep without the sound of trickling water from my 36 my windows right by a highway so it's something I got used to lmao

Avenged87

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go glass, the weight difference is not worth having acrylic, it scratches very easily aND you have to be careful cleaning it otherwise it will be scratched and cloudy, the clarity is not nearly as good as glass.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Go glass, the weight difference is not worth having acrylic, it scratches very easily aND you have to be careful cleaning it otherwise it will be scratched and cloudy, the clarity is not nearly as good as glass.

IMO/E acrylic clarity is BETTER than glass...but more importantly, unlike glass, the scratches can be removed...I've had many acrylic tanks since 1991, and wouldn't even consider a glass tank for my next large tank purchase.

Avenged87

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tanks also yellow over time and clarity diminishes. Acrylic is much more maintenance.. acrylic is better when the tank is not rectangular or is extremely large.. maintenanice on an acrylic tank is much more involved.

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Yeah wasn't worried about the few extra lbs it just extended a extra 12 inches in length so it would catch another beam or 2, and was also wider . Thanks for all the good points guys I'm really against acrylic but idk what I should chose , just got a very cheap quotation on a custom bullnose peninsula and stand and that's been my dream tank since ever . $700 shipped, tanks like that in glass are way out of my price range

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
IMO/E acrylic clarity is BETTER than glass...but more importantly, unlike glass, the scratches can be removed...I've had many acrylic tanks since 1991, and wouldn't even consider a glass tank for my next large tank purchase.

+1 I have my 2 large acrylic tank since 1998 and after seeing the difference between the two,clarity and just overall appearance, I would never get another glass tank again.

and what happens when a fish scratches the acrylic or somehow you scratch the inside? Drain it and Polish the acrylic? Not worth it to me

No, if you get a scratch you can leave it, most scratches are hardly noticeable, but if you want you can take the scratch out, something that you can't do in a glass tank, and glass tanks do get a lot of scratches, especially low iron glass. And it doesn't take long to remove the scratches, and once you do it, you will have a brand new tank. Can't say that for glass tanks.

Acrylic tanks also yellow over time and clarity diminishes. Acrylic is much more maintenance.. acrylic is better when the tank is not rectangular or is extremely large.. maintenanice on an acrylic tank is much more involved.

Maybe the very old type acrylic tanks yellow, but the newer ones don't, and I've had mind since 1998 and there isn't any yellowing on them, and the clarity is still very clear. As for additional maintenance on a acrylic tank, vs a glass tank, well outside of being careful when you clean the glass, or putting rocks and stuff next to the glass, the maintenance isn't any difference, and like I said before, you can very easily scratch a low iron glass tank.

And outside of the weight, and on large tanks there is a big weight difference between glass and acrylic, the big difference is acrylic tanks are much more stable and less likely to leak compared to glass tanks, and if they do start to leak, they can be fixed very easily and quick.

Fishinizer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
The only other peninsula tanks I've come across are a acrylic 150 and a glass 120 idk if these would be pushing it for my second floor , otherwise I'm Gona have to get the tank custom built and wait months . I'm looking at a 120 today might pull the trigger

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Acrylic is softer, scratches easier, and that's why it's easier to rub off some material to get down below the scratches to make it clear again. To do so you have to empty the tank completely, and clean it out down to the last grain of sand, so that grain doesn't end up scratching everything up even worse during the buffing process. Acrylic is also not as rigid so needs, depending on dimensions, a substantial top brace, and bottom support, to keep it from bowing. Think anyone who's had a tank knows how likely it is to drop a rock, or how hard it is to scrape off coraline, or keep sand off your cleaning pad. It is cheaper, lighter, and easier to fabricate, that's where acrylic's advantages end.
For a very small tank where it's easy to empty, polish, or replace, these things aren't as critical. In huge aquariums, where glass isn't practical, acrylic might be the only choice. For everything in between glass is the obvious better choice.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: