bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I?m thinking about setting up another, small, 15 gallon tank, fish-only-with-live-rock. I got the whole set up from someone who used it for fresh water fish. My question is about the filtration. I got 2 filters, Top Fin Internal corner filter and Top Fin power filter. I realize both filters are for fresh water, but could they be used for saltwater FO tank? I don?t want to install skimmer, and I want this tank to be completely quiet. Live rocks and sand bed will be the main biological filter and I do not intend to keep corals, just fish, CC and maybe shrimps.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Id nix the internal canister filter just bc its inside tank and taking up real estate. The other filter one that hangs on back? Not sure what a power filter is

You will need to be on religious water changes, but if no corals maybe it'll be more forgiving setup to water quality

nharbarte

Reef learner
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
if you are asking 'only' about the filtering, the Top Fin Internal corner filter and Top Fin power filter will work. But, it will depend on how many fish you will put in. There's a rule of how many fish you can put in a tank.

I have done this in the past. from 55gal FW converted to SW. it worked for me as long as I have to clean (every 3 days) the filters. then i added corals, then more cleaning and more water change. Bio-load and eating habits of the fish will make a difference.

I fell in-love with SW (or should I say 'got addicted') i ended up buying filter system and eventually new tank :) now with I have 180gal reef tank.

my point, if you can discipline yourself in good husbandry (this is the secret of SW) you can keep that filter.

this hobby is very addictive BUT very satisfying!!! good luck.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Been there, done that, took a freshwater tank with brackish water Monodactylus argenteus, dumped in straight powered salt, and bingo, instant saltwater tank. Kept the same trickle filter with sponge. the only difference with the tank is that you just need to do water changes, just like it's freshwater. Measure the nitrates, keep below 20/40 for fish.
Also, you have to keep dim lighting, to prevent algae growth, which if it does grow, will clog the filters up.

Skimming is for coral's protein waste, not solid fish waste.

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have another reef tank so I'm pretty familiar with the set up, requirements etc. I'm not going to transfer any corals from my main tank to this one. This is going to be a tank close to evening sitting area, so I don't want a skimmer that makes some noise or even a power filter. I already have some dry rocks, did aquascaping and I will start cycling the tank. I will not turn on the filter yet as too much particles in the water so far.
The LED light that came with the tank is quite dimmed so it should be ok for FO.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: