arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So for the last 4-5 months I have had a problem with a bryopsis. Everytime I take it out, it grows back in a different place and 2x worse. It seems that it's only growing on the rock however. Would it be a good idea if I took out all my live rock and left it out to dry for 1-2 weeks and then cured it again and place it back in the tank? Or is there a possibility of the bryopsis growing back? What do you guys think is the best possibility? At this time this is my only option as I have tried different things?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Taking out your rock or messing with the likes of your bio load capacity can cause you to mini cycle, and most likely will lead to another round of similar prob. How old is tank? Enough circulation? Maybe a good time to give your circulation pumps a vinegar bath.
What's your set up like?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
its a good time to give your pumps a vinegar bath???? this guy has bryopsis. jesus christ!
If you'v been in the industry for 25 years and don't know that low circulation could be a contributing factor in his issue than there's no sense in talking to you.
I see you'r back, and right back onto following me around. Did they let you out of the loony bin?

For some actual useful info, instead of did you test for nitrates or phosphates like someone in the hobby doesn't already know that, have used hi levels of magnesium a number of times and it works. With no ill effect to reef inhabitants. Takes a few months but gets the job done. Use a cheap mag, like Kent Marine's, to do it because it is thought that the metals in the cheap stuff is what actually does the trick.
Here's a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tDG-qlFOGU

Last edited:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
do they recommend a "Lights out" period to hit this stuff harder? I've been getting an algae bloom from a second tank I just plugged into my first and just realized my mag test was junk

arthurk0722

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
do they recommend a "Lights out" period to hit this stuff harder? I've been getting an algae bloom from a second tank I just plugged into my first and just realized my mag test was junk

I'm not sure. I've tried the Kent M stuff before and nothing has happened. I don't know if a lights out period will reduce or stop the bryopsis. What I think I will end up doing is taking out the rocks that have them, dipping them in peroxide and brush the bryopsis off, do a 20% water change and see how it goes.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
if the tech m stuff didn't work i'd guess you didn't get the level high enough, or keep it there long enough. In one tank i had to keep it up for 3 months before it turned red and melted away. Which btw had no ill effect on it's mixed reef inhabitants. It does take time, and effort. The 3 day lights out is much quicker, and easier. Interested to follow along and see how it works on bryopsis.
Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: