bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Yeah. there is definatly a shelf life. It's under a year if I do remember. Once I figure out how much of the foot I'll need, I'm going to sell the rest.

Check your PM on the price.

B

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
While on the subject of DI. I just started using the color changing kind. When I filled it, I filled to the top. After about 2 weeks (roughly 80 gallons) I noticed that there was a gap across the top of the chamber about 1/4". Does the media shrink with use? Should I fill in the missing media?

Steven

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Does the media shrink with use? Should I fill in the missing media?

Steven

It settles.

Buckeye Field Supply FAQ

Excerpt: Is there a right way and a wrong way to load a refillable cartridge with replacement DI resin? Yes! Seems like this would be a simple matter of unscrewing the bottom of the cartridge, dumping the old resin in the trash, placing fresh resin in the cartridge, and replacing the cartridge in the housing. Well, almost...
It's how you place the new resin in the cartridge that's important here. First a little background on DI resins.
Remember that the vast majority of folks in this hobby who use DI resin take advantage of mixed bed resin. This resin is composed of small plastic cation beads and anion beads that remove positively charged, and negatively charged ions, respectively. These beads work most effectively when they are thoroughly mixed (which is the way they are when you buy them).
To assure the beads stay mixed together, pack the beads tightly in the refillable cartridge. Fill the cartridge to within a 1/4 inch of full with resin. Now pack the resin by dropping the cartridge repeatedly (~40 times), rubber washer end down, on a hard surface from a height of about 1/2 inch. Essentially what you are doing is bouncing the cartridge to get the resin to settle. You'll see that it settles significantly. Add more resin and settle it again. You'll not see as much settling this time. Now fill the cartridge a third time to within 1/8 inch of the top and pack the resin a third time. If you see any settling at all, refill to within 1/8 inch of the top, replace the cap, and you're good to go! Packed in this way, you'll not see the resin separate over time.

Rating - 50%
1   1   0
While on the subject of DI. I just started using the color changing kind. When I filled it, I filled to the top. After about 2 weeks (roughly 80 gallons) I noticed that there was a gap across the top of the chamber about 1/4". Does the media shrink with use? Should I fill in the missing media?

Steven

Yes - the media shrinks with use. The potential drawback is that with a fluidized bed the resin beads can separate if not packed tightly - and you end up with a layered bed rather than a mixed bed.

In a properly configured system - with bottom up flow in a vertical DI cartridge, you should see the color change start from the bottom and move upward over time.

If you see only the TOP half of the cartridge changing color, that's an indication the mixed bed has separated.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: