Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My tank is 3 years old and has plenty of the life rock and cave type hiding places.
For a long time I am fascinated with black/blue ribbon eelsand now want to experiment and get one.
My tank is mix reef fish bowfront custom made 125gal + 30gal sump.
Fish tank tenants :
powder blue tang
Cuban Hogfish
Eight Line wrasse
Bicolor Angelfish
Poma Angel
Banded Cleaner shrimp
15 brittle stars
5-6 hermit crabs
6 tiger tail cucumbers.
My questions are:
Has anyone successfully kept blue ribbon ell for a long time(more than a year)?
Assuming you had, are there any special requirements: do/don?t?
What are you feeding your eel and how often?
My biggest past success was keeping Moorish Idol for 2 years before I lost everything to hurricane Sandy. I am up for a new challenge and looking for any experienced advice.
Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
like wise....blue for me
i had 1 before but slipped out from the top. was doing great for 3 mths.

so if I got an eel would I have to have an enclosed top? I was thinking T5/LED combo for my next build's lighting and kind of already had a certain look in mind.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have a glass cover to protect ell from escaping. The only improvement I would make to my tank is to glue large mesh over the overflow cuts.

I think Ill incorporate that idea either way because I'm tired of scooping fish out if that area plus i get scared whenever i see any of my larger snails headed in the direction of the durso!

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am surprised that no one has repliedback about keeping blue ribbon ell. I guess it's really hard and this explainsthe lack of experience sharing.

that and the first thing i noticed in the article you sent out was the cyanide-method of catching these guys. This eel is very appealing. I was leaning towards the zebra eel because unlike the snowflake and other moray its supposed to be a day person.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am a scuba diver and seen snowflakes and zebras during the day out in the tropical pacific ocean. You can train your eel to come out during the day if it attracted by food. Personally I trained my SUN corals to open during the day once the sense food smell.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I am a scuba diver and seen snowflakes and zebras during the day out in the tropical pacific ocean. You can train your eel to come out during the day if it attracted by food. Personally I trained my SUN corals to open during the day once the sense food smell.

I don't doubt that at all,, either way we'll both be happy once we add these to our tanks! I bet tonight people will hopefully chime in more.

Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
My pair 5years plus
3998821bd7298303b6a0bdaabb3c6170.jpg
8f52bcb0f75afc90d58132852ac0e03e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 99.5%
204   1   0
One of the hardest eels to keep next to garden eels ...let put it this way 90% don't eat and starve 9% escape leaves you with 1% to play with..lol
I went through 6-7 of them before I got one to eat ,caves and rock work in my opinion don't work I ran pvc pipe under my sand bed like a maze 1/2 inch I believe ,makes them feel more secure ..,after my first one started eating silver sides got another one which refused to eat from previous owner ,but since I had my guy already eating new guy got trained off of him and started to eat also

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
this is cool. I will plan to create a PVC maze under sand and cover it with racks where I cannot hide under sand. Do u remember where did you get the first one that eats? Now since I know your success story I will bug you until I get successful. LOL. I am joking but will ask you a few questions here and there. Hope you won't get annoyed with me. And YES I know how difficult some fish can be, I went through 5-6 Moorish Idols beforee got one that lived in my tank for more than 2 years.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: