jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Was hoping to get some thoughts on temp swings. I have a 65 gallon mixed tank mostly softies, zoos and some lps, no sps. I usually keep my tank at a constant 79 however this is my first summer and today the tank went up to 83.5. Wondering what your tanks usually get to in the summer? I have air but don't always use it. Was hoping to get some thought?
Thanks,
Jay

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Point a power head at the surface of the tank and gran a clip on fan to blow over the top. You will need to top off with freshwater more often but it should help your temp a bit.

If you're hitting 83.5 this earlier in the summer, you may end up needing a chiller.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Point a power head at the surface of the tank and gran a clip on fan to blow over the top. You will need to top off with freshwater more often but it should help your temp a bit.

If you're hitting 83.5 this earlier in the summer, you may end up needing a chiller.

Yup, good points ^
Chiller or keeping the room cool with ac should be in your future. Swings are bad, and temps that hi are bad.
Using good pumps, and keeping them clean with an occasional vinegar bath can help big time. I Switched from a mag 7 to an ehiem 1260 and my temp went down almost 3 deg on my 72 gal. A return pump that's too big won't help. Four to 6 times the display volume per hour, with head height figured in is optimal. Trying to minimize how many pumps you run helps too. Having the skimmer pull air from outside the cabinet will help a bit as well.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Yup, good points ^
Chiller or keeping the room cool with ac should be in your future. Swings are bad, and temps that hi are bad.
Using good pumps, and keeping them clean with an occasional vinegar bath can help big time. I Switched from a mag 7 to an ehiem 1260 and my temp went down almost 3 deg on my 72 gal. A return pump that's too big won't help. Four to 6 times the display volume per hour, with head height figured in is optimal. Trying to minimize how many pumps you run helps too. Having the skimmer pull air from outside the cabinet will help a bit as well.

Run the air line for your skimmer into the freezer :).

But glad to hear the air is on, although as mentioned be careful with big temp swings. A problem with relying on the ac is when you turn it off, or raise the temp when youre not home.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A simply way to help you is keep the room temp always 75. This will allow for pumps that bring some heat to the tank. If you can set AC your be fine. If not and your room gets hot than a chiller is another way. I never had a problem with my tank in summer because Central AC is set and tanks in basement. Only thing if a power failure or AC breaks. Keep room cool and the tank will be fine....

bkstang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I use a computer cooling fan attached to 2 rods and directed at the surface of the water. It's powerful and almost silent. It works great for the last 2 or 3 years. I have problems with the temperature sometimes in spite of the fan when the humidity is high, like summer day before a storm for example.

vashawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
i just order a 3 piece unit fan from ebay that has 6 fans on 1 unti, $30 each free shipping.
looking to invest in a 1hp chiller in a mth or so.

In the mean time i have a portable ac unit from LG that i have blowing directly in the DT.

265 gal mixed reef

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: