zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break down the tank and dry out the rocks.

agreed, if you are going to upgrade, then forget it and wait until you begin with your new tank. or just start pulling the heavily infested rocks out, but I wouldn't waste money on removing them if you are going to re-do the tank. good luck again.:wink1:

Koyfam16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me. I remember when I bought the shrimp the owner said some people end up with camel shrimp or something like that which looks like peppermint. My peppemint went to town as soon as the lights went out on the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me. I remember when I bought the shrimp the owner said some people end up with camel shrimp or something like that which looks like peppermint. My peppemint went to town as soon as the lights went out on the first night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how many? what size tank? curious.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Peppermint shrimp worked for me. I remember when I bought the shrimp the owner said some people end up with camel shrimp or something like that which looks like peppermint...

There seems to be more than 1 type of Peppermint shrimp...the ones from the Caribbean/Florida have always worked for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm not a huge fan of Berghia any more ... they're tiny, easy fish food (lost $275 worth of Berghia in 1 night to ..... SEA HORSES! sheesh!) -- wrasses will go after them non stop -- and, they're pretty darn expensive!

I love the filefish but in my experience, they always go after zoas, so tough call ...

So! what's the final verdict? :) Peppermint Shrimp! yes, some people haven't had success with them but as zenfish said, there are a couple different types and only certain ones go after aiptasia. So what I do, is ask the store owner to put in some aiptasia with their peppermints (I have yet to see a store that does not have any aiptasia in their tanks so this is usually not all that hard of a problem); peppermints, if going to eat it, will usually go to it within a minute or two max, and start devouring it.

If they eat the aiptasia, great! home they come! If not, on to the next store! :)

Downside of peppermints is they are voracious scavengers -- they will literally pull food out of lps corals as if they've been starving for years! But the positive side of this is, they're super easy to catch! :) Leave a trap with some food in it at the bottom of the tank at night, and I pretty much guarantee they'll get in there :)

Hope that helps!

- Archit

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have tried berghias, and never had any luck with them:
- they get eaten by wrasses
- their eggs get eaten by amphipods

So unless you get a lot right away... not much is going to happen

Kalk / Aiptasia-X etc work very well for "manual removal"

But for long term "maintenance" a file fish works wonders.

When I introduced my file fish he seemed to not care at all about them. Then one day all the "fish accessible ones" were just gone.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I ordered 15 medium sized berghia from reeftown.com. They all arrived alive and active. They had a special that included some egg swirls for free. I put 2 berghia in my fuge and the rest in my 90G display. I noticed a significant decrease in aiptasia within a week. Until there were only a couple of visible aiptasia left in my tank. Then, slowly I noticed the berghia less and less on my glass at night. After about 2 months I stopped seeing the berghia completely. It's been about 2 months since I've seen any berghia. Since I still had a couple aiptasia in my tank, I recently picked up a laser (http://www.lucklaser.com/445nm-1w2w-ultra-powerful-blue-laser-flashlight-focusable-p-31.html) to zap the last few I can see. The laser works, but it's dangerous, and scares the sh-t out of me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: