jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Was wondering what your thoughts might be on adding a yellow eye kole tang to my 65 gallon mixed reef tank? From what I've read they seem to need space but not as much as other tangs including yellow tangs. According to live aquaria they need 70 gallons. I do have a fairly stocked tank: 2 Ocellaris Clown, 1 midas blenny, 1 flame angle, 1 hoevens wrasse, 1 royal gamma, 1 yellow tail blue damsel and 1 gobie.

I do water changes on a regular basis and my water chemistry is good. Was hoping to get some thoughts?

Thanks.

jmc1024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I forgot to mention that i do have a 12 gallon sump with a skimmer as well as 50 lbs of live rock. I'm not too worried about the bio load more so the size of the tank for the tang. My tank is only 3 feet long and i know they need some space to swim.

Jhoehlein

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Go for it. The rest of your fish are fairly small-bodied, you shouldn't run into bioload issues.

Try and get a smaller one, you are right on the border for acceptable size tank for this fish. As Geraud mentioned they can have an outsized personality for their size. One of my clients had an average sized Kole tang that absolutely ruled its 600 gallon reef, trumping the White Cheek, Dussumieri, and juvenile Desjardinii when it came to troubling new fish. Not that all Kole tangs are that rough, just that my experience shows them to be a little angrier than you might expect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: