Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Sup guys, I own a reefer 250 that comes with two mesh filter socks that are easy to wash and reuse. I figured I try the Red Sea Reefer 225 micron felt sock in the tank to polish the water. What I didn't know is when buying new socks they have to be washed before first time use. Now my skimmer is going crazy and over flowing at the lowest setting. I have done two 50% water changes and cleaned the skimmer by soaking it in vinegar. I washed all my filter socks in the washing machine with 3 capfuls of bleach to remove manufacturing oils. I am not sure what else to do except keep the keep it of at the moment.

Any advice is appreciated.

Skimmer : Reef Octopus 110ss

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
It's not the skimmer, it's the filter socks.after you wash them and have them soak in rodI,then dry them out to get rid of any bleach residue.when you install them in your sump are you putting them in there dry?I usually soak mine before I put them in my sump and keep the skimmer off for a few hours

Jackooze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Someone recommended to raise the skimmer a few inches higher for a few hours until it would settle down. I didn't think such an easy fix would work but it did. After a few hours it's back to normal. Thanks everyone for all your input.

Skaters216

Reefing for My Kids!
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
Did you add anything else to the tank? I used epoxy to mount frags to a rock and my skimmer went bizerk for a day and a half,,, I always wash my Filter Socks in bleach then soak them in a five gallon bucket o RODI water overnight then Air dry,,,

ZippysFunLand

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Slightly old thread, but when I change my sock, I open the valve on my skimmer all the way. If I don't do that, sometimes the skimmer bubbles up and overflows but not every time. Typically the valuve is open to 5, but if it does bubble up, I have to open the valve to 3 and let it sit for a while. Turning the skimmer off while changing the sock would have the same effect, but for me opening the skimmer is easier than unplugging it.

Also, I put the new sock in dry, but the way my sump is setup the sock goes entirely in the water in order to fit over the overflow pipe, but the skimmer problem definitely shows up before putting the new sock on.

1329eheim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Jeez, I'd lose the Red Sea filter socks, take collection cup off skimmer, completely open ball valve, cover air intake on pump and wait until things return to normal.

Note to myself: add Red Sea Reefer felt socks to products I would not touch with ten foot pole.

Good luck,

Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: