Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
I will be setting up a 300 gal tank with a 120 gal sump and a 60 gal refugium. Down the road the tank will have a heavy bio-load. I pretty much decided that i will go with a Reef Octopus Regal skimmer but not sure if I should do the 250int or 300int. I'm getting a lot of mixed advices on which one to get. Some say if I go with the 300 the system will not create enough organics for the skimmer to work properly others say since it has a dc pump you can throttle it back and will be fine. Also i was told when calculating water volume not to include the sump. If that is the case yes the 250 most likely would be sufficient.
Can you guys put your 2,3,4 cents in and help me decide what direction I should go.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you have the room and the funds go for the 300int. As with pretty much any skimmer you can turn down the water level in the skimmer by opening the output valve which effects how much waste gets collected, as well with the regals you could dial down the dc pumps output with the push of a button. Better to have more that you can turn down, than not enough.
Would also leave room to incorporate an algae scrubber in your build.
Have a 220 with 40g sump and 55g fuge, with slightly undersized skimmer and algae scrubber. Going over 10 mos without a need for a water change.
Good luck with the build, post up some pics

Last edited:

Frank@Wall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
113   0   0
If you have the room and the funds go for the 300int. As with pretty much any skimmer you can turn down the water level in the skimmer by opening the output valve which effects how much waste gets collected, as well with the regals you could dial down the dc pumps output with the push of a button. Better to have more that you can turn down, than not enough.
Would also leave room to incorporate an algae scrubber in your build.
Have a 220 with 40g sump and 55g fuge, with slightly undersized skimmer and algae scrubber. Going over 10 mos without a need for a water change.
Good luck with the build, post up some pics
There is only 70 bucks difference so that is not the issue. I do really wanna get the 300 but some of these guys put the bug in my ears that it would be too big and won't be pulling the crap out.
On my 120 I made the mistake with a Vertex skimmer. I went too big and I could just not dial the skimmer in so i had to sell it lost money and bought a smaller one and it's pulling crap out like crazy.
And yes I did think about a scrubber as well.
Definitely will start a thread once I'm ready.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Bigger is not always better especially when it comes to skimmers.
If it's too big it will not have enough waste to pull out. It will be just sitting idle until enough organics build up in system. RC used to have a dedicated sponsor forum for Coral vue which is the distributors of Reef octopus. They always stated not to oversize.
Good luck with whichever you buy.

ravi197699

Thruster
Vendor
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
In this hobby I have learned that If you know that you will upgrade the tank or plan on going big in near future then buy the life support of your system on larger side, I have built skimmer that is 48" tall and 12" in diameter and I am using this on my 700 gallon water volume tank and I am running ozone through the skimmer as well, So far I have not seen the the collection cup empty and skimmate dark green and I have seen that my water quality is much clear, so plan accordingly, If you planning to go with recirculating skimmer then go with 300, I have seen this skimmer on 350 gal heavy stocked tank and it was pulling some serious stuff out of the system. JMO

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
skimz is the quietest skimmer tested and it pull out stuff that will totally surprise you and they are very affordable
Skimz is an awesome skimmer, so is Vertex. Vertex is a lil harder to dial in, but once done pretty much set and forget. Reef octopus by far the best bang for the buck. If you run the air intake hose to outside, the noise the octopus makes from sucking in major air is a non issue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: