Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I Can't up load pics at the moment. My Red Monti cap is bleaching or being devoured rapidly. Yesterday I noticed a white blotch the size of your pinky nail near the edge of the colony. Iv'e seen this happen before but the cap recovered. This time whatever is going on is spreading fast. Pics not uploading I'll continue to trying. Until then your help is always appreciated. :)

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
are you actually noticing continuing recession of tissue, or was it just a one time loss of tissue. Ive had that sort of thing happen to me when another coral stings the cap. loses tissue quick then regains it rather quick as well, usually within a week or 2 depending on damage amount.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Summer is winding up, but the biggest problem I have with SPS if all other things are equal, is high heat. 84F+ for a few weeks. Next in line is high phosphates over a longer period of time, >0.02 ppm, but them together and SPS die off. Hits me every year.

Biological predation is hard to ID, Is the skeleton bare, tissue consumed? or bleached? Hopefully you've got the right culprit. I'm not up to date on how to handle those, are they the same as AEF or zoo eating nudi? so many pests now and days, I wonder if EXIT will work on them.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Biological predation is hard to ID, Is the skeleton bare, tissue consumed? or bleached? Hopefully you've got the right culprit.
The red tissue is continuing to dissolve outward leaving the white skeleton. No critters visible where this is happening but caught two tiny white nudibranch underneath the cap. I Saw a youtube video confirming they are Montipora Nudibranch. They claim these nudibranch are very difficult to get rid of. They have a high tolerance to treatment and the eggs are not affected this. They Probably came from new corals introduced several weeks ago. It will have to run it's course, not treating the tank.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If you play it out they will lay more eggs and if you have other Monti they will find them. If you found two they are many more. You can remove cap and qt it. Cut off the dead pieces. Dip and dip until the eggs hatch. Six line wrasse and others wrasses can keep them at bay by eating them. At night when the lights are off. Shut off the wave makers or strong current. Get a flashlight and look on the monti. You might see a lot more. Or your in the beginning stage. People should start qt coral even if you dip. The eggs will survive.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
If you play it out they will lay more eggs and if you have other Monti they will find them. If you found two they are many more. You can remove cap and qt it. Cut off the dead pieces. Dip and dip until the eggs hatch. Six line wrasse and others wrasses can keep them at bay by eating them. At night when the lights are off. Shut off the wave makers or strong current. Get a flashlight and look on the monti. You might see a lot more. Or your in the beginning stage. People should start qt coral even if you dip. The eggs will survive.
I place there live nudibranch in the dip solution for 25 mins and it killed them. I'm Gonna dip the rock and and dip it again next week. I have a small yellow wrasse as well. Hope it work out for the best.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: