Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Looking to get some feed back on the Hamilton Cebu sun mh t5 fixtures I'm considering replacing my LEDs with one of these fixtures

Was thinking of going with the 72" 3x 250w mh 4 x 80w t5 fixture for my 220 only concern is that it won't be strong enough for sps focused 30" deep tank

Anyone used this fixture b4???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Dont have experience with this particular fixture, but i do have experience with halides

I would say if you want sps in the bottom half of the tank, i would opt for the 400 watt version.

if you want to leave the bottom for lps and zoas, then the 250s should be fine.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Reefiness I agree but 400 w mh have always made me nervous it's so much heat they give off so I'd need to really change around my tank hood even remove it and add a chiller all that will add heat to my already muggy basement
I believe Tusi actually runs his chiller from out side to solve this issue and his tank speaks for itself I just don't have the time or $ to do such big overhaul of tank atm

That being said would a 8 bulb t5
Work for my tank

72" x 24" x 30 deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Matt I'm running 250 Radiums on Hamilton ballasts in a 27" deep tank with 4 bulb T5s and still able to get good color growth with lower light hardy SPS like BNs etc.. You have seen my tank many times. 400s are the way to go for keeping stronger light SPS near the bottom, but as you mentioned heat is a big factor which is why I run the 250s. You could use a stronger PAR bulb like 10ks and supplement useing the T5s with actincs. I ran that combo for years, but I really like the Radiums.

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I definitely get where youre coming from not wanting to get the 400s. You will be totally fine with the 250s, just like Mike said placement becomes more important.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: