B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've purchased multiple pieces of coral and fish from a a vendor on MR. Every fish I've purchased has died prematurely. Either from an unknown cause within 2-3 days or a week or two with some sort of unknown bacterial or fungal infection. And corals that have Just withered away. Iknow it's the nature of the hobby. However in a large established aquarium with livestock over 10 yrs old (coral and fish) and decades of experience I'd like to believe my selection process and husbandry are on point. The question is do I point out the vendor or simply not shop there any more. With online guarantees of up to 2 weeks isn't that a more sensible purchase. Why can't we expect the same from local vendors?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Wow, sorry to hear that.
I would share the vendor with other members. Sharing info is what makes this hobby and this site great. Would also contact the vendor and see what they'r willing to do to compensate for your loss.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Yes you should share. It warns other fellow reefers so we're not in the same situation. Then on the other hand it others may have had good experiences at said store and might be you. Not questioning your experience or husbandry I'm just saying. Everyday we learn something new no matter how long we've been in this hobby

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Yes you should share. It warns other fellow reefers so we're not in the same situation. Then on the other hand it others may have had good experiences at said store and might be you. Not questioning your experience or husbandry I'm just saying. Everyday we learn something new no matter how long we've been in this hobby

I'm no expert by any means. However without bashing a vendor how can we find out if others have had the same experience with this vendor. I'm sure many hobbyists take there livestock home acclimate them properly and experience this kind of loss. Assuming it was their mistake. Maybe it's not. Maybe some vendors purchase livestock from non reputable sources and use the excuse that that's just the hobby.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I don't necessarily think it's "bashing" a vendor by saying that you went to such and such a store and bought such and such. Properly acclimated and this what happened and it took this amount of time. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues I have?
Also I've noticed it's not just one store this has been happening lately. I'm starting to beleive our local lfs are getting fish from the same suppliers and shippers just charging different prices depending on overhead and what not. I have buddies from upstate where I'm at to deep in Long Island and states Island experiencing the same issues with fish deaths more frequently. Might just be something going around. Might be part of the global warming. That's why there finding fish in places they never been before and fish that are usually seasonal are more readily availiable

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't necessarily think it's "bashing" a vendor by saying that you went to such and such a store and bought such and such. Properly acclimated and this what happened and it took this amount of time. Is anyone else experiencing the same issues I have?
Also I've noticed it's not just one store this has been happening lately. I'm starting to beleive our local lfs are getting fish from the same suppliers and shippers just charging different prices depending on overhead and what not. I have buddies from upstate where I'm at to deep in Long Island and states Island experiencing the same issues with fish deaths more frequently. Might just be something going around. Might be part of the global warming. That's why there finding fish in places they never been before and fish that are usually seasonal are more readily availiable

This is why I don't want to point fingers at one particular vendor

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I don't see it as pointing fingers if done in a non damaging way. I look at it as looking out for your fellow reefers
Put it this way. If someone else started this thread. And then told you what place it was would you still of bought corals and fish from same place?

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I made a post that was deleted by our great moderators. I supposovely bashed 4 vendors. I didn't know I bashed anyone. I just gave my opinion to what lfs I thought it was. Never said anything bad. But I did mention lfs by name and I think that's against Manhattan reef rules. Soooo. I still beleive and it's my opinion it's 1 of 4 places. A place in the Bronx. A place in Brooklyn. A place in jersey. Or a place in Brooklyn.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sometimes it's our fault and sometimes it's LFS. A lot of time we just can't wait to get that fish you always wanted. Especially when LFS just received a shipment. Today the fish don't get a chance to settle in LFS. Second a lot of LFS keep salinity between 1.13-1.16. Now if you don't have a Qt tank near that salinity. I don't know how you can add that fish to a salinity of 1.26 in a hour or two. That's just to big of a jump in less than 24 hrs. Yes, some and many fish can survive but with added stress. Our job to make sure the fish is eating and no sign of parasites. Also watching the gills of fish and his eyes. LFS can hold the fish for a few days or week. That's good and bad. At least you are able to see in a few days an out break may pop up. The fish is eating so it's a win. Not all the time. See sometime leaving a fish that might be able to go home might pick up a parasite from LFS. Some LFS get 3 shipments a week? So at times they will bring in weak and sick fish in LFS system. It's our job to do our resource check by asking people or seeing if LFS are doing water changing and maintaining they system. Every LFS will have fish loss So blaming one might not be fair. Unless the LFS are cutting corners.

Smotz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I agree that we should share our experiences. That's why we're a 'community'. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and others should recognize that it's just that - an opinion.

It's ridiculous that we get bashed for sharing our experiences.

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Various corals over the years. Recently a copper band that was eating dead in 2 days and a wantanabe that developed a syst of some sort near the tail which grew and burst this took about 3-4 weeks. I know the CB is delicate but the angel was said to be very hardy

Last edited:

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
That's crazy. I also had a copperband eating and doing well also then all a sudden just die. I also had the same thing on my wantanebei. Died overnight. Replaced with another one dead within 3 days. I'm not sure but was told wantanebei can be very difficult also. Especially the females. Not sure how true

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Well the copperbanded sounds like it was collected with tranquilizers/ poisons as they all are out of the Indonesia and philippines, those are on you.
The angel with a sore sounds like you took a chance, but the odds were in your favor and could've turned out well.
As mentioned earlier, I think the major salinity fluxes the fish go though between intermediates, cause the most problems. i.e. one facility may use copper, the next stop doesn't but goes low salinity, the LFS uses copper, its a rough ride and its a wonder fish even survive.
Think about it this way, if you were to pick up 10 random damsels and take them home, how many casualties do you expect? or what about 10 tangs? 10 butterflies?

The LFS isn't the problem, they just happen to be the next to last stop in the fishes life.
That's why people jump on a trade or a fish for sale when they are in some guys home. Once they thrive in someone's home, they have an almost 100% survival rate in the next guys home.

Last edited:

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Well the copperbanded sounds like it was collected with tranquilizers/ poisons as they all are out of the Indonesia and philippines, those are on you.
The angel with a sore sounds like you took a chance, but the odds were in your favor and could've turned out well.
As mentioned earlier, I think the major salinity fluxes the fish go though between intermediates, cause the most problems. i.e. one facility may use copper, the next stop doesn't but goes low salinity, the LFS uses copper, its a rough ride and its a wonder fish even survive.
Think about it this way, if you were to pick up 10 random damsels and take them home, how many casualties do you expect? or what about 10 tangs? 10 butterflies?

The LFS isn't the problem, they just happen to be the next to last stop in the fishes life.
That's why people jump on a trade or a fish for sale when they are in some guys home. Once they thrive in someone's home, they have an almost 100% survival rate in the next guys home.
How do you figure the way a fish is collected is on me?
Also if the lfs was purchasing from a reputable collector and insuring no fish were caught with tranquilizers wouldn't that mean a better transition for retail purchasers?
That kind of attitude is what your lfs wants. What do they care if livestock dies you'll just buy more thinking its your fault.why can live aquaria give a 14 money back guarantee and nor your lfs. I think local hobbyists need to strand up to this!
Also the sore on the angel didn't show up until a week later

Last edited:

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Also lfs knows most reefers keep there tanks around 1025.they keep there's lower for 2 reasons 1 maintaining there tanks are cheaper 2 it suppresses parasites and other disease

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: