Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (11 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
Statenis Return pump for 180?

I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Went to test the tank and I guess the Reeflo 1100 pump wasn't primed enough and failed. (smoke, etc.). Any suggestions for a replacement? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Reefer Ratings: (10 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
There's some good choices. My Jebao D.C. 12000 has been way cooler and more reliable than my reeflo ever was, and it's dc adjustable
Old 11-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I use Eheim 1262 (which is now called 3400, I believe). Very reliable IMO. But does not have 3/4" outlet fitting. I used the 1" outlet fitting, attached a few inches of 1" tubing, and crammed 3/4" tubing into 1" tubing. Works for me.

I think that most folks use return pumps with much higher GPH. But I feel I've got enough flow in tank from wavemakers that I'm not relying on return pump for flow. For me, the number 1 criterion for return pump is reliability.

I did try Jabao DC pumps (in my 180 and in my 75), but for whatever reason they conked out after a a few weeks. Not saying they would not work for you -- just relaying my experience FWIW.

I'm sure there are many other return pump options out there, so I'll subscribe to see what others suggest.

Mike
Old 11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1329eheim View Post
I use Eheim 1262 (which is now called 3400, I believe). Very reliable IMO. But does not have 3/4" outlet fitting. I used the 1" outlet fitting, attached a few inches of 1" tubing, and crammed 3/4" tubing into 1" tubing. Works for me.

I think that most folks use return pumps with much higher GPH. But I feel I've got enough flow in tank from wavemakers that I'm not relying on return pump for flow. For me, the number 1 criterion for return pump is reliability.

I did try Jabao DC pumps (in my 180 and in my 75), but for whatever reason they conked out after a a few weeks. Not saying they would not work for you -- just relaying my experience FWIW.

I'm sure there are many other return pump options out there, so I'll subscribe to see what others suggest.

Mike
Wow, jebao dc failed on both tanks within weeks

There's 2 popular and successful schools o thought on how many gph your return pump should put through your sump.
The older 10x the display tank volume, and the newer 3-6x the display. From my experimenting with older tanks that were running 10x for years, and newer tanks alike, would have to say i find 4x just about as good as it gets.
The more times the water goes throu sump the less contact time it has with skimmer, fuge, media, etc. and the more heat that gets generated from a bigger pump pushing more water.
If your running reef the display should get anywhere from 15-25x the display tanks' volume per hour. So you deduct what your sump should be doing, and add circulater pumps or closed loops inside the display for the balance of what you'r looking for

Oh, eheim 1262 does come with a 3/4 barbed outlet, and is not close to big enough for a 180 that is likely 5-6 feet heigher than the bottom of the sump

Last edited by theMeat; 11-30-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Old 11-30-2016, 09:41 PM
Send a Private Message
Hi theMeat,

Sorry if I offended you by my comments about Jabao dc pumps. That was not my intent. As I said, they did not work for me, but if they work for you, that's great.

I did not know that the Eheim 1262/3400 pumps came with a 3/4" barbed outlet. The last 3 I bought (for RP on 180 and 75 and feeder pump for ATS) came with 1" and 5/8" outlet fittings. Would you know where I can get the 3/4" outlet adapter?

As I mentioned in my first post, most folks (like you) are looking for a lot more flow from their RP than I am. If I can find a more reliable pump than Eheim, than maybe I would go for higher gph too. Although I can't see what harm it's doing to have slower flow through sump when flow in tank is pretty intense (using Jabao wave makers by the way).

Good luck,

Mike
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Send a Private Message
You didn't offend me with your jebao talk. Have no stock in the company personally or professionally. Just find it hard to believe that more than one pump went out within weeks when i have them running fine all over the place.

Ehiem 1262 comes female threaded 3/4 on the outlet on the pump, with a 3/4 and another barb size in the box. If for some reason you got many that didn't come that way, wow, and you can go to homecheapo or plumbing supply and get 3/4 male thread to 3/4 barb readily.

Have been in the hobby a long time and have seen ppl, most ppl, use a return pump too big. Didn't think my recommended 4x the display is too much. What is your turnover per hour?

Last edited by theMeat; 12-01-2016 at 12:12 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 AM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Send a Private Message
have a 265 and a 220
JABCO no problems at all
Ur stock overflo cant handle full open. i run at 3 to 4 on controller with NO noise
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
You didn't offend me with your jebao talk. Have no stock in the company personally or professionally. Just find it hard to believe that more than one pump went out within weeks when i have them running fine all over the place.

Ehiem 1262 comes female threaded 3/4 on the outlet on the pump, with a 3/4 and another barb size in the box. If for some reason you got many that didn't come that way, wow, and you can go to homecheapo or plumbing supply and get 3/4 male thread to 3/4 barb readily.

Have been in the hobby a long time and have seen ppl, most ppl, use a return pump too big. Didn't think my recommended 4x the display is too much. What is your turnover per hour?
Yikes. If this is your "I'm not offended" response, I'm not sure I could survive an "I am offended" response.

Not interested in protracted ill-tempered debate. I come here to relax. So I concede that you are absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong.

Mike
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1329eheim View Post
Yikes. If this is your "I'm not offended" response, I'm not sure I could survive an "I am offended" response.

Not interested in protracted ill-tempered debate. I come here to relax. So I concede that you are absolutely right and I am absolutely wrong.

Mike
Lol

Sorry i offended you.

This place, for me, is about sharing info to better the hobby and the members here. Can come here and find out just about anything regarding the hobby. Sometimes you have to dig throu info that is simply false, and sometimes it smells like bs. Sorry i like to call that out.
Yet sometimes ppl have an answer that's outside the box, and could lead to new found success. That's why i asked you what your return pumps turnover rate was per hour, since you mention most ppl do more gph than you.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Send a Private Message
I purchased a new Jebao DC 6000 for my 125 gallon reef. It died in less than six months of use. I would never buy a Jebao. You get what you pay for.