jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
ok My buddy has a 140 reef tank up and running 9 months purple alage grow every where, When we set up his system we use and old 75 gallon tank as sump/Refuge oversized the skimmer, Chiller, heaters and calcium reactor, He now purchase a 90 reef ready tank.. The Tank will be in the next room back to back with the 140, ? Can we cut a hole through the wall and drop the feed and return into the sump, so all we have to buy is a light hood and water movement, I was figuring buy 100 % cure rock out of a successfull reef tank , were doing starboard on this system, and make water...
will this mess up my 140 ? like to hear some thoughts thanks..

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you can do that, but you will have to account for the extra water flowing into the sump when the returns are shut off.

also will the skimmer you have be able to handle the new water volume.

set up a QT tank for sure. like it was mentioned if one tank gets ich etc, then both tanks will. make sure nothing sick/ or pests gets in either tank.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It should be fine. It is almost like setting up a Refugium but bigger! I have a 40 gallon long hanging above my 150. The 40 gallon shares the same sump as the 150. I pump water from the 150 into the 40 and it drains back out to the sump.

I think it is a good idea and certainly saves on electricity.

If you do lose one tank you will lose all.

jhart

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Using a deltec apf 600 rated for 260 normal stocking and 200 heavy, It should be good .. if not it still cheaper if i sell that and get a bigger one. or Ill add a hang on as far a the calcium reactor I should be good .The sump is huge should have no problem with water. I'll turn off both pumps and let the sump fill up. i should def have volume in the tank..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: