ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
So i was surfing online and came across a kids toy i have seen it before but i never thought more of it hydrophobic sand (water repelling sand) you make it by spraying a water repelling silicon on it and mixing multiple times
I personally think this would be awesome no more detritus no more siphoning or anything else for that matter it would be like a bare bottom tank with a sandy bottom look
I don't know for some reason i think its really cool what do you guys think and do you know of anyone that has ever tried it

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Doesn't sound like a great idea. How do you know what it's treated with or even what kind of sand it is to begin with?

Well what kind of sand doesn't matter because its repelling water what is in it is the concern and how long it will repel water salt etc
In the previous post I explain how its made so if its 100% silicon that is coating the sand then it should be reef safe

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
like others have mentioned, it wouldn't be the greatest idea. To address your thought of having a "separation" of the sand from the water allowing increased water flow without disturbing the sand, I think you would actually have quite the opposite result. The hydrophic sands you're referring to actually tend to "clump" while underwater containing air pockets within the sand clumps. This theoretically makes the clumps lighter relative to sand without air pockets. A modest amount of flow will be enough to bring these clumps to the surface. Once the clumps reach the surface they will disperse, and float on top of the water which will result in your sand collecting in your filter socks or similar mechanical filtration means.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
like others have mentioned, it wouldn't be the greatest idea. To address your thought of having a "separation" of the sand from the water allowing increased water flow without disturbing the sand, I think you would actually have quite the opposite result. The hydrophic sands you're referring to actually tend to "clump" while underwater containing air pockets within the sand clumps. This theoretically makes the clumps lighter relative to sand without air pockets. A modest amount of flow will be enough to bring these clumps to the surface. Once the clumps reach the surface they will disperse, and float on top of the water which will result in your sand collecting in your filter socks or similar mechanical filtration means.

Very good answer i haven't thought about that and i can see how that would happen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: