Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Is anyone running a lg tank using 250w mh
And 400w mh

I'm getting close to placing my order with Hamilton for a 72" fixture and was thinking about getting 2 X 250w mh radiums with magnetic ballasts on either side and 1 400 w in the middle

Will it look funny too bright in the middle the fixture also has 4 80 w t5

The other option is just stick with the 3 250w but the par values 24" down I'm not sure if it's enough with sps

Any insight is greatly appreciated
Btw my tank is 72" X 24" wide X 30" deep all sps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zuska

Cherry Collector
Rating - 99.5%
430   2   0
I like the first option with the 400w radium in the middle. it will be better Par with a 2ft tank for the sps and on the side you can have your aquascape higher for the 250w.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
why magnetic ballast and not electronic?
if you go with Luxcore or hamilton electronic ballast you have the option of a switch for 250 watts or 400 watts.
as far as a fixture, if you have a canopy you have some great deals on here with guys selling great pendants very inexpensive. the look of 2 250's at the end and one 400 in the middle will not give it a uniformed look but thats my personal taste. if you dont like it with the option of an electronic ballast all you lose is bulbs not ballasts and bulbs.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I try, all kind of Lights, LEDs, Metal H, 12 x 80 T5
Best is... Metal H 20.000 K Radium, great color , good growing , i have 3 x400 w and supplement w/some LEDs (home made) on 300 Gal.
Hamilton Tech. i don't think they have the BEST reflectors,
400 w ballast you may adjust to 250 w, winch is just fine for you size and SPS , if you like stop and see it b4 buy anything, Is no secret Metal H, release lots of heat, but Radium 20 K beat anything in my opinion.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I try, all kind of Lights, LEDs, Metal H, 12 x 80 T5
Best is... Metal H 20.000 K Radium, great color , good growing , i have 3 x400 w and supplement w/some LEDs (home made) on 300 Gal.
Hamilton Tech. i don't think they have the BEST reflectors,
400 w ballast you may adjust to 250 w, winch is just fine for you size and SPS , if you like stop and see it b4 buy anything, Is no secret Metal H, release lots of heat, but Radium 20 K beat anything in my opinion.

+1
no led or T5 can match growth and color of MH 20K Radiums 400 watt or 250 watt

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Bklynreef only reason I prefer the magnetic is because I was under the assumption that it was the only way to run the 20 k radiums that are legend to most the hard core sps mh guys !
But I sure would love the option of a adjustable ballast for all 3 mh I will email Alexandra at Hamilton to see if this is an option for the Cebu fixture

I do have a canopy but was gonna go topless and just put this fixture on top of tank really want to keep it simple and also don't believe tank will be able to Handel new heat load with canopy and new light

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I've been running MHs for years and tried many different combos. I did a lot of research before spending the $ on my current setup. The difference between running the magnetic M80s and electronic is they will run bluer on the electronic, but as mentioned the advantage of the electronics is some come with the select a watt for different wattage bulbs so you can save some $. I preferred the crisp white with a hint of blue from the M80 HQIs which are recommended by many for running Radiums.

bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Thanks for the info guys I spoke to Hamilton and they don't offer the selectable ballast but there ballast r easy connect so I could always swap then out

The beauty to me of this fixture is I can get rid my canopy and the 5 lights and 2 fans hanging in it just put this all in one fixture right on top no diy t5 no hanging 3 separate lights it just seems easier

fishywoo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Matt I use the 48" version of that light and love it. I run the duel 400w and 4 x 54w t5. Colors are good. Vio put a par meter on it for me some time ago I cant remember the numbers but they where impressive and that was just the just on the halides.

I run the 20k Hamilton bulbs and you could run them as stand alone bulbs. Nice color with just a hint of blue.

Some other things about the fixture it is heavy as are the ballasts. The fans are very good and help wtih the heat but are not silent. I don't use a chiller but run air-con in the summer. Hope that helps

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: