tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My husband and I purchased 70 lbs of Pukani dry rock from BRS earlier this month to aquascape a Red Sea Reefer 450.

We took our time and have decided on a layout that we both like.

We tried using super glue gel on a few pieces, but later found out that the glue is mixed with rubber particles, and that cyanoacrylate glue we used is not 100% waterproof and degrades in saltwater.

We then tried a reef safe mortar, but I can't seem to find the right consistency to make this stuff work. Too thick and the mortar dries out and crumbles, and too thin and it pours like water through the porous pukani rock. It's also very obvious where the rocks are glued, which isn't ideal.

We've tried two part epoxies in the past, but I'm not a huge fan. My urchin has knocked down coral frags in my current tank that were epoxied and I'm not sure I trust it.

I've seen some aquascapes that were done with fiberglass rods, but I don't think that'll work for our 'scape. The rocks are series of "pillars" lined up alongside one another and need to be glued from the sides, not top/bottom.

This isn't our first tank. We are upgrading from a 55 gallon reef which was aquascaped using the "pile 'o rocks" approach, which neither of us like. Hoping to get some ideas from fellow hobbyists.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I used JB water weld bought at home depot and IC glue. I will put the glue on the rock first where i want to stick them together then mix the water weld and sandwich it in between the rocks and the glue works like a charm.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
If i was you, i will be worry , about "I purchased 70 lbs of Pukani dry rock from BRS earlier this month to aquascape " one month is not good, you may end up with some Hair Algae , whatever was dead in this rocks, may fuel (PO4) , to cure rocks, need time and passion, not sure how you cure it . To glue it is not hard. Do not add or buy corals until your rocks , looks nice. Do not glue it, if you not familiar with your collection , some needs more or less light and water flow.

B.BASH

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Brs has a new product I can't remember the name. It comes in a jar as pellets. You soften it in hot water it becomes very plyable plastic like material and easy to use the best I've ever seen

tnc112105

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I wish I had asked here first before starting the rockscape. It would have made things much easier from the get go. Once this finally comes together it's going to look great. I'll post pics when it's done.

I plan on a full cure for the pukani rock, but I wanted to aquascape dry. Until then, my corals and livestock will remain in my 55 gallon reef and be transferred gradually as the new tank matures.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If i was you, i will be worry , about "I purchased 70 lbs of Pukani dry rock from BRS earlier this month to aquascape " one month is not good, you may end up with some Hair Algae , whatever was dead in this rocks, may fuel (PO4) , to cure rocks, need time and passion, not sure how you cure it . To glue it is not hard. Do not add or buy corals until your rocks , looks nice. Do not glue it, if you not familiar with your collection , some needs more or less light and water flow.
Sorry, do not understand most of this post, and the parts i do understand i don't agree with.
Once the rock is dry it's dead. A week, a month, ten years, don't matter.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I wish I had asked here first before starting the rockscape. It would have made things much easier from the get go. Once this finally comes together it's going to look great. I'll post pics when it's done.

I plan on a full cure for the pukani rock, but I wanted to aquascape dry. Until then, my corals and livestock will remain in my 55 gallon reef and be transferred gradually as the new tank matures.
Pukani is so nice to work with. Cuts and chisels so nice, and where it joins another piece it looks like one.
Would work on a flat surface, and glue together manageable sections that can be placed and fit back together inside tank.
Look forward to some finished product pics

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Then, i guess, you have to google how to cure rocks or skip my treads.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-f...Ai3fc90zA01zk0cLu6bE6kYoaDztDQQEqlxoCAS_w_wcB

"BRS recommends curing all rock before being used in an established system for best results."
I get that. My point was that once any rock, cured, cycled, cooked whatever, has been dried it's dead. Doesn't matter if it a week or a decade, it will need to be cured/cycled, or be a small part of what's added to an already established system

Buying dry rock has some advantages. Like taking your time to do aquascaping. Not worrying about how long it takes to make, or for glue to dry. Not to mention saving a bunch of money because the same size rock is much lighter when dry, and you pay by the pound. As well as being sure you'r not adding any pests or hitch hikers into your new tank because it's all dead.

Last edited:

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I get that. My point was that once any rock, cured, cycled, cooked whatever, has been dried it's dead. Doesn't matter if it a week or a decade, it will need to be cured/cycled, or be a small part of what's added to an already established system

Buying dry rock has some advantages. Like taking your time to do aquascaping. Not worrying about how long it takes to make, or for glue to dry. Not to mention saving a bunch of money because the same size rock is much lighter when dry, and you pay by the pound. As well as being sure you'r not adding any pests or hitch hikers into your new tank because it's all dead.
And my point was....http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2049855

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I recently purchased some dry rock from Marco Rocks. Advice was given to me how people had high po4 test results and huge algae blooms from these types of harvested rock, and that i needed to cook it to release all po4 built up. But before i took on this process, i decided to run a test on it.

I put a piece in a bucket of saltwater and a piece in a bucket of fresh water both of which I tested the water prior and had a 0 reading for po4. Both buckets were placed in a dark spot in the basement. It sat for 1 month, i tested both buckets and still had negative po4 results.

I now have used the same rock in a tank that's been set up for 3 weeks and those results are also negative for po4. And as of yet, I don't have an algae bloom of any kind.

So for that I say definitely use dry rock to start a tank and avoid the inevitable introduction of unwanted pests.

I would agree though that aquascaping is not as easy as one would think. I used E-400 cement on a few rocks and it was virtually indestructible and then an hour later on another scape and it falls apart in my hands. It appears there is a short period of time to work with it that it is optimal for its strength as well as how thick or thin the consistency should be..but as to what that is I don't know. Sometimes I get it right and it holds, sometimes I don't and I have to do it over and over.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dry rock is the way to go if you want a specific aquascape and have time to cure and seed it later with LR. There's always people with different views and experiences so do what you feel comfortable with. I recently used pond foam that I got from Amazon and it worked for light work on a reef wall, I even used it on a medium sized rock shelf for my main display. The foam I then trimmed and coated with leftover epoxy and sprinkled sand over it to blend in.

-R_jay

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: