Rating - 100%
575   0   0
So my "crawling space" is finally done so my fish room is gonna happen soon.
Im also upgrading from my 150 rimless to a 300dd. (150 set up for sale soon)
But im also planing on having a fowlr in my fish room for some aggressive fish (puffers, lion fish etc)
My question is wht r the pros/cons of plumbing both tanks and all the equipment together into 1 big sump?? Nitrates will definitely be an issue but with good husbandry im sure i can manage them. Or can i??
Any1 have done this before and wanna share some ideas so i try to minimize the mistakes??
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nandez13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
246   0   0
Awesome! Congrats on the upgrade, that should be epic. Having everything plumbed in together will simplify the maintenance as you're only maintaining one system. That large volume of water will help stabilize parameters as well.

I've never kept any aggressive fish. Are there any fish that might release something in the water that would negatively impact your corals?

Can't wait to see this thing running

Rating - 100%
575   0   0
Thanks bro. The plan is having 1 system rather then separate ones. Not sure as how bad aggressive fish will impact corals tho. Thats why im making sure i dnt crash. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not a problem. Depending on how much fish and feeding. The fish will love the water quality. The only draw back is if you have a problem in one tank you'v got it in both, with limited ways to treat.
Look forward to some pics

stbarnabas

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I've done it and the only issue is once fish gets sick .. the whole system is in trouble .. that's the only issue I had before .. good luck

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
I've done it and the only issue is once fish gets sick .. the whole system is in trouble .. that's the only issue I had before .. good luck
+1, not to mention, about salt, no need high end salt for fish ,also run low salinity (when have only fish ). is a nightmare to got ick on reef tank, i pass that 2-3 times, i have to remove all rocks to get out the fish.

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
FOWLR tanks usually do better at a lower salinity. Especially highly stocked ones. Also you have the option to go HYPO in case you have an ich outbreak. FOWLR tanks usually always run with nitrates due to high food demand, SPS dont like to much nitrate. To many variables to plumb together. Id separate. Cheaper and easier long term.

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Combining is easier because it will be one system and a larger volume of water will be more stable. However like already mentioned -

It will cost more to keep the larger body of water at the correct reef params

It's great to have a second system that you can use for hypo

IMO always better to have a second tank that can be used as a back up

If it was me and it isn't too much of a hassle I would setup 2 separate systems.

Certain pieces of equipment can be used for both tanks. Like one controller for both, one RODI unit and one large fresh water storage tank etc... Plus you get to mess with 2 skimmers!

HTH

Adam

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: