STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Has anyone had experience with this company? I'd like a screen top and these seem perfect but they aren't cheap so I was looking for a little feedback before I jumped right in, especially if anyone has used them for a Red Sea tank. Interested in fit, appearance, durability, functionality. Any help is appreciated

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Hi i have the screen on my Red Sea Reefer 250. I really like the screen. I mean for the money few more details should have been paid attention to. I was one of the first guys to get it so i assume quality got. BEtter and picked up on few things. One thing is i guess the router slipped on them so it left a scratch on the plastic like 1/16th deep. The front is a little bowed in i think they pulled the netting tight so its not exactly parallel with tank. Tight in corners and 1/4" gap in middle. Also they could have been tighter against the overflow box. Like 3/8" space so if you got small fish that are jumpers they ight find their way out.
Also feeding door is a must. Overall its a great top and not sure hiw quality is now. But i assume its gotten better as they have gotten into the flow of things. Check my build thread i have pics

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
When i saw the 6 month wait time i decided to diy one

a dremel router connection and straight bit just rout out the main hole and then rout a groove so the rubber screen holder can hold the brs screen in place set it like a regular window screen
hope you got the idea from that description
probably going to make a thread when i make mine

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This is the one i built out of 1/2" acrylic and 1/4" vinyl netting.
p1801202791-4.jpg

redtigrinus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered getting one too for my elos 120 but for the money the cost and the amount of time it takes I'll probably build one myself, especially since I already bought the materials a year ago for a previous tank and never used them. Just hope I don't mess it up.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
More questions

So I'm seeing most of you guys built your own which I'm not opposed to. That being said my main problem is with my reefer there is a long run across the back (64") that would have to go unsupported. It would have to make that run without sagging or bowing. I don't know what the company that makes them does to achieve this but I guess I can call and ask and will. Thank You all so much for trying to help. Clasystems your top is beautiful and seems to fit perfectly, you should open a side business!!

clasystems

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So I'm seeing most of you guys built your own which I'm not opposed to. That being said my main problem is with my reefer there is a long run across the back (64") that would have to go unsupported. It would have to make that run without sagging or bowing. I don't know what the company that makes them does to achieve this but I guess I can call and ask and will. Thank You all so much for trying to help. Clasystems your top is beautiful and seems to fit perfectly, you should open a side business!!

Thanks, Anything acrylic has to be supported over that kind of run, even 1in will bow over time. Mine is bowing already and its 1/2" which is pretty thick. Its hardly noticeable but I know its not as flat as it once was.

STRIPERVIPER

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.8%
161   2   0
Support

I was thinking of maybe doing some kind of support along the back run. I couold use a piece of vertical acrylic to make a type of I-beam. Or I could use a piece of stainless for support. Also I could glue a few spaced out pieces of acrylic to the back wall for the cover frame to rest on.

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I used a solid carbide upcut router bit 1/8" and a circle cutter. Took me about 3hrs. If this was a rectangle it would have taken me 30min.

Its 1 solid piece which I made a corrugated cardboard template first for fitment.

I was thinking along the same lines im going to do it for my bowfront tank so we will see how that goes any reason you didint go further with the screen

ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0

Why does it have to go unsupported
Equipment, wires, return, overflow? You can just notch out those things

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: