ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So after a 2 year hiatus, I've decided to get back into the hobby!! I finally got my dream tank that I've been after - totally crazy that Innovative Marine NEVER has this tank available, was on a waiting list for like a year!! Well, here is my new IM Nuvo SR120!!

First, let me say that after long thought, I went with this tank to finally rid myself of a sump system aquarium. I'm at the point where I really don't have tons of free time and an AIO tank of this size is exactly what I was looking for. I know, I know, the filtration will be limited...but I believe the hobby is at a point in time where the advances is methods and tech make it possible to run a beautiful clean AIO. I'll talk about my filtration in a bit.

The big bonuses I like about this tank (I'm not employed by IM lol) are that IMO, it's a beautiful Euro look with the sleek Shallow rimless design. At only 16", it looks so awesome with the longer 6' length. This is going to be perfect for my SPS dominant Reef. I also love the fact the stand is 40" tall. There are a number of shallow tanks available on the market, but IM took the further step to bring the shallow tank to eye level and it looks fantastic!! I'm still a little torn about the original natural wood look or the new piano gloss finish. Seems like the piano gloss will be a pain to keep smudges clean, but I think I can live with it because it does look nice. Finally, the fact that no more bending over on my knees to clean sumps, skimmers, etc... AND no more worries about the sweatbox that is produced under the tank in the stand causing mold and all sorts of damage to the wall behind the tank, this is priceless.

I'll be posting more info soon and more pics of the progress but here's my new system! After sweat and grit bringing this into the house (this thing was so ridiculously heavy for a 120gal tank, and the stand is the heaviest thing EVER!! I think the stand was heavier than the tank!!) and about 4 hours of electric and equipment setup, here's what I got:

Attachments

• IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 752
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 749

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Quick question for anyone out there: Are there any issues using standard plastic bins/trash cans for RO ATO storage? Like things leaching or BPAs, etc...?

So heres a list of the basic Equipment I'll be running:

Water Supply
Basic BRS Value 4 stage RODI
IM Titanium Auto Top Off
14 Gallon Ikea Black Recycle Bin for resevoir

Lighting
3 AI Prime HD's - Shallow Tank, Tiny Lighting!!

Flow
1 Maxspect Gyre XF150
1 Ecotech MP10qd wes

Filtration
2 Full Size IM Ghost Skimmers
1 IM Minimax Reactor running AIO Biopellets
3 Stage Caddy in my Overflows

Dosing
Bubble Magus Dosing Pump
Aquamaxx 3L Dosing Containers
*** REALLY?? Nobody else makes these with the 1/4" outlets on the bottom???

100lbs. of Caribsea Liferock
40lbs. Caribbsea Aragonite Reef Sand

Pretty Basic equipment. Next post I'll go through my dosing schedule and bacterial filtration.

Last edited:

STHILL

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Awsome tank..I have the sr60 and I love it...innovative marine makes great tanks this is my 5th tank from them..i don't think I'll ever go back to a sump again!!
good luck with the build..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Awsome tank..I have the sr60 and I love it...innovative marine makes great tanks this is my 5th tank from them..i don't think I'll ever go back to a sump again!!
good luck with the build..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow 5, thats dedication lol!! This is my 3rd IM tank, they do make everything very simple and user friendly (as long as you can live without the best skimmer, best reactor, etc...) The stuff they make for their tanks get the job done IMO.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Update:

Sand and RO/DI filled last night. Salting the tank today and then its time for the aquascaping!! I'm using Caribsea Special Grade Aragonite Reef Sand, and sticking with my Aquavitro Salinity Salt. For Flow, I've hooked up my old Gyre XF150 and I have a new MP10 coming for the other side.

I'll have a bigger update about the dosing and what I'm using once I aquascape and start the biological cycle.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 352

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
...we always leave the light on so you guys can find your way back home ;-)

Beautiful tank!

I'd keep an eye out for a tall glass tank to use for ATO storage. Somebody makes them, I used to have one. Wish I had more info I could give you about them. There is a place that sells potable water storage containers on the Island in various sizes. Try LongislandAndy..he may know where it is.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the compliments!! I did the aquascaping today due to being snowed in lol. Here's how it came out:

Attachments

• IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 263

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: