Raed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So I have been running the ARID for a year since I started the tank. For the past month I started dosing NOPOX and my SPS and corals in general are much happier and growing faster.
On the other hand since NOPOX lowers the nitrates, it is competing with the chaeto food source and not harvesting as much chaeto as before and it is not as healthy, which is understandable.

The question is, do I just take the ARID totally off line and only dose NOPOX? It would definitely cut down maintenance.

Opinions?

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
You have to dose to keep algae going or take it off line. I started triton on 50 cube running an arid and my tank looks amazing. The Triton elements really drive the chaeto growth. I actually dose it right into the intake of my pump feeding the arid. I have to pull out at least 50% of it once a week which keeps my nitrates and phosphates really low. I still run carbon and phosphate remover in a reactor and my chaeto grows like crazy. I think it's a combination of iron and other trace elements feeding the algae. These things can get depleted really fast in our tanks from what I've read

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Raed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You have to dose to keep algae going or take it off line. I started triton on 50 cube running an arid and my tank looks amazing. The Triton elements really drive the chaeto growth. I actually dose it right into the intake of my pump feeding the arid. I have to pull out at least 50% of it once a week which keeps my nitrates and phosphates really low. I still run carbon and phosphate remover in a reactor and my chaeto grows like crazy. I think it's a combination of iron and other trace elements feeding the algae. These things can get depleted really fast in our tanks from what I've read

Cool, first time to hear about Triton. Is there a specific Triton trace element you are dosing? Can you please list which ones? Thx!

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
You have to do some homework but basically Triton is a method of dosing and almost completely removed the need for water changes. It's 4 elements that you dose every day in the same amount based on your alk uptake. So for example in my 50 gallon tank I dose 4 ml every day of each of the 4 bottles and my KH stays steady at 8.. I haven't done a water change in about 6 months

nyshoots

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It's not very complicated at all once you get started. Finding the correct dose is a little trial and error the first few weeks but you start low and slowly work your way up till you're steady as close to 8 dkh as possible and just stick with it. Not having to do water changes is so nice

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: