Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Hey all - Any control freaks out there? I am a moderate user. I just upgraded my Apex, anyone have a some what complex system that they upgraded? Any tips or tricks?

I have read where it says keep the other running while you start to program the new one - I wanted to take advantage of cleaning up the hornets nest of wires with my older one though.

Part of me wants to just get a power strip and plug the return pumps and skimmer in and just pull everything else apart and start fresh, hate to loose all my profile though.

Like I said anyone that went through this that has some tips or tricks input is welcome.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Yeah I think that is what I am going to do. My plans have changed a little with my upgrade. I will be moving the sump to the other side of the room so I think I will wait to set it up till then so I can also clean up the hornets nest of wires.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
SO what an ordeal! Well as I got into it, I quickly found my only solution was to just dismantle the old Apex, remove it all from where it was so I could mount the new one and clean up the wires and birds nest that was there from the original build.

So I started about 9:30Pm, had to disconect and move the external Skimmer, Removed the Main pump and accesory pump lines (they feed 3 tanks) and plugged them into a power strip (along with heater) so I at least had flow durring the swap.

Removed all units from the wall, unplugged everything and straighted out wires.

Mounted the new Apex 2016 on a board so I can move it easily (yes as I embark in my 225 upgrade I am moving everyhting to a different wall - sump and all equipment). Then I wrapped all probe wires in a cord wrap so I dont have 4 small loose wires.

Ran all the new wires nice, neat and tight. Zip tied all clean. Still a lot of wires!!!

Started to reprogram. I did as much of the basic programing until 2am!!!

I was back up at 7am and finished programing. I have the APEX hard wired not using the Wifi, and then took my old Apex upstairs with me, plugged it in and was able to copy over a some of the programs I wanted.

Well that was Wednesday night into Thursday. This am I finished tweaking my programs, creating some virtual outlets.

So overall a TON of work but it looks cleaner and so far I am happy with how it came out, and one last thing now to do when I do my big upgrade!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: