Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I recently switch over to this salt and so far so good. My question too user of this salt or any high alk mixing salt. What do you guys keep your alk levels at? With RC i would keep my alk @ 8.6 dkh so im just wondering if i should try and match the high dkh this salt mixes at or stay in a lower range.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I never understood the appeal of RSCP. Why do you want salt that mixes with an alk as high as 12-14 dkh (it can vary)? So many people had problems keeping SPS with this salt and miraculously rebounded after changing salts.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm not married to it at all. I was just tired of these mess RC left every time. I was looking at Fritz pro and rscp and just went with the rscp. What salt would you all recommend. My new build will probably be sps dominate tank.

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Sps dominant doesn't mean it has to be high in alkalinity.I keep my alkalinity at 8.5-9 dkh ..my calcium at 440 ppm and I have it maintained using a calcium reactor..I'm currently using red sea salt (not the pro )
FYI fritz pro salt is extremely high in alkalinity

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Sps dominant doesn't mean it has to be high in alkalinity.I keep my alkalinity at 8.5-9 dkh ..my calcium at 440 ppm and I have it maintained using a calcium reactor..I'm currently using red sea salt (not the pro )
FYI fritz pro salt is extremely high in alkalinity

Actually Fritz pro salt has similar parameters to regular red sea salt. It mixes at 8.6DKH via Salifert. I was having a hard time getting regular Redsea salt at LFS near me so tried Fritz for a lower price. So far I have no complaints and im about to order another box. Its a good alternative if your looking for a salt that mixes under 9DKH at 35ppt.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I guess I have a few options on salt just have too figure out what too go with. Or maybe I just don't dose the day I do a W/C the frag tank is only a 2 gallon change and DT once setup up would be maybe 5-6 gallons.

Last edited:

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I'm not married to it at all. I was just tired of these mess RC left every time. I was looking at Fritz pro and rscp and just went with the rscp. What salt would you all recommend. My new build will probably be sps dominate tank.

Regular Tropic Marin. Clean and consistent salt, proper levels. I also like coralife but sometimes it leaves residue after mixing (I never saw an adverse affect).

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
depends on who you are asking.... I changed from RSCP to Coralife and saw a big difference. Simple montis were dying in a few days in my tank while my Ca Alk Mg no3 and po4 were in check good lighting new bulbs new RO filters. No nudis, I dealt with them before and was looking for them.. Changed almost everything and as an afterthought changed salts and my tank turned around... While I have noticed some residue if I let the salt mix more than 18-24 hrs I have stuck with the salt. I am interested in trying out the tropic marin salt as well as their 3 part balling method. For the moment things are doing well so I am reluctant to make a change. I am keeping my eyes and ears open however...

I miss interpreted Pro for the red sea salt. after I posted this I realized you were asking about the different grades of TM salt....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: